Wikileaks under dos attack

Absolutely.

But to be a traitor to an oppressive, fascistic and belligerent regime is not a Bad Thing™; therefore treason is not axiomatically immoral.

That was indeed the point I was trying (not as clearly as you!) to make.

My father would turn over in his grave if he knew that as he also served in the Signals and he was a loyal Englishman along with it

Why would your father turn in his grave exactly? Are you implying there's something wrong with the notion of Swami being in the Signals?

Like Swami said...

I'd be wasting my time trying to explain what loyalty, honour and integrity is to "keyboard intellectuals" like you. You have no conception of the idea

You make a thinly disguised attempt to hide your anti-Americanism under shallow arguments about "conscience" existing in a world of self righteous criticism of anything that does not meet your "saintly" like approval

America isn't perfect. It has it's government secrets good and bad like any other country but in the sum total of things probably a lot less than China or Russia.

As I mentioned in an earler post only stupid people get any sense of satisfaction from the Wikileaks. Whether you like it or not America is the only thing that stands between entities like North Korea and an even further increase in world wide Islamic terrorism.

I dont know what details Sky News feed you but the army private Manning admitted to having a grudge against the military. It was an act of spite not to mention treason as a way to get revenge so again crap to any argument that he acted out of "conscious belief"

Absolutely.

But to be a traitor to an oppressive, fascistic and belligerent regime is not a Bad Thing™; therefore treason is not axiomatically immoral.

Agreed. However in this particular case is was immoral. Had Pvt Manning come across a document revealing the US government was about to nuke Bishops Stortford or round up and enslave the inhabitants of Tahiti and had published it then there might be an argument he had acted to prevent a war crime. As it is all he's done is nicked en masse classified information which due to the volume it's highly unlikely he had read in entirity and passed it into the public domain without any thought for the security and economic consequences of his actions.

Agreed. However in this particular case is was immoral. Had Pvt Manning come across a document revealing the US government was about to nuke Bishops Stortford or round up and enslave the inhabitants of Tahiti and had published it then there might be an argument he had acted to prevent a war crime. As it is all he's done is nicked en masse classified information which due to the volume it's highly unlikely he had read in entirity and passed it into the public domain without any thought for the security and economic consequences of his actions.

Absolutely. I wouldn't disagree with much of that. He was, of course, provoked not by seeing a document as in your example, but by

watching 15 detainees taken by the Iraqi Federal Police… for printing “anti-Iraqi literature”… the iraqi federal police wouldn’t cooperate with US forces, so i was instructed to investigate the matter, find out who the “bad guys” were, and how significant this was for the FPs… it turned out, they had printed a scholarly critique against PM Maliki… i had an interpreter read it for me… and when i found out that it was a benign political critique titled “Where did the money go?” and following the corruption trail within the PM’s cabinet… i immediately took that information and *ran* to the officer to explain what was going on… he didn’t want to hear any of it… he told me to shut up and explain how we could assist the FPs in finding *MORE* detainees…

And the chat logs indicate he'd been point sampling the data for some time:

He was a very angry and indignant young man, with heaps of crushed youthful idealism, the whole grand narrative.

Angry, indignant young men do all sorts of crazy things.

They often change the course of history in ways unimaginable to them at the time.

Matthias Rust did in his way. And so has Bradley Manning. History will pretty much forget them both, and their fate is not going to be of interest, nor their motivation.

The US defence research agency were the first people on the planet to develop a resilient decentralised packet-switched network that ended up spanning the entire globe and underpinning the economies of entire countries.

So in a sense, they made it all possible.

The irony just keeps piling on. It's almost unbearable as it is.

Never too late when a bunch of money and a first class hit man are available :hihi:

No, it really is too late.

Wikileaks were slowly, carefully publishing redacted cables, at a rate that would have taken them many, many years to publish the lot.

The unexpurgated raw data - which as Manning puts it

(1:10:38 PM) bradass87: its open diplomacy... world-wide anarchy in CSV format... its Climategate with a global scope, and breathtaking depth...

its beautiful, and horrifying...

Is now sitting on millions of home computers all over the world. No-one can read the data yet because it's encrypted by a very difficult cypher to crack.

If I was Julian Assange, I would have a number of internet dead man switches that are simply going to mailbomb newspapers and pretty much everyone who takes an interest with the decryption key if I don't mail my password to them every two hours or so.

So, it's TOO LATE. Whichever way you look at it!

And even if the obviously talented and thorough Computer Security People that might have prevented this poo-storm with the application of a few newbie security measures manage to disarm them all, some bright spark is going to decrypt the package anyway and release the plaintext version for all to see.

Archived