Wikileaks under dos attack

He knows they knew where he was, it was on the news before the proper warrant came through.

I'd class him as a fight risk! Wouldn't you?

If they had known where he was they would have arrested him straight away surely. If he had wanted to go on the run I doubt he would have come here in the first place.

No. I wouldn't class him as a flight risk...but I'm not the judge. :)

If they had known where he was they would have arrested him straight away surely. If he had wanted to go on the run I doubt he would have come here in the first place.

No. I wouldn't class him as a flight risk...but I'm not the judge. :)

The first warrant wasn't valid!

Then, generally as usual, they gave him a chance to hand himself in. They were in constant contact with his lawyers.

You really ought to check your facts. :)

Explain please!

Personally I couldn't name anyone else who is associated to wikileaks, I did see someone speaking today, but I didn't get his name and definitely didn't recognise him.

Also I used the word "technically" because, one he is the face everyone knows and associates, but also because he's the founder of the site, even though a whois shows it's hidden by Dynadot Privacy (note that that is a US company):

Domain ID:D130035267-LROR
Domain Name:WIKILEAKS.ORG
Created On:04-Oct-2006 05:54:19 UTC
Last Updated On:26-Aug-2010 22:38:42 UTC
Expiration Date:04-Oct-2018 05:54:19 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Dynadot, LLC (R1266-LROR)
Registrant ID:CP-13000
Registrant Name:John Shipton c/o Dynadot Privacy
Registrant Street1:PO Box 701
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:San Mateo
Registrant State/Province:CA
Registrant Postal Code:94401
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.6505854708
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:privacy@dynadot.com
Admin ID:CP-13000
Admin Name:John Shipton c/o Dynadot Privacy
Admin Street1:PO Box 701
Admin Street2:
Admin Street3:
Admin City:San Mateo
Admin State/Province:CA
Admin Postal Code:94401
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.6505854708
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:privacy@dynadot.com
Tech ID:CP-13000
Tech Name:John Shipton c/o Dynadot Privacy
Tech Street1:PO Box 701
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City:San Mateo
Tech State/Province:CA
Tech Postal Code:94401
Tech Country:US
Tech Phone:+1.6505854708
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:privacy@dynadot.com
Name Server:NS1.EVERYDNS.NET
Name Server:NS2.EVERYDNS.NET
Name Server:NS3.EVERYDNS.NET
Name Server:NS4.EVERYDNS.NET

I was going to say eh?

But openDNS is returning "server fail" instead of the page, also pinging the DNS, no response!

That's because easyDNS, former champions of the underdog, have been bought by Dyn inc.

And they have refused to provide DNS information for that domain after pressure from the state department since the main story broke a week or two ago.

Hence the move to wikileaks.ch - owned and authoritatively nameserved by the Swiss Pirate Party, and nameserved by a dozen other scattered domains! Nice job really.

Domain name:
wikileaks.ch

Holder of domain name:
Piratenpartei Schweiz
Simonet Denis
Römerstrasse 9
CH-2563 Ipsach
Switzerland
Contractual Language: German

Technical contact:
Piratenpartei Schweiz
Simonet Denis
Römerstrasse 9
CH-2563 Ipsach
Switzerland

DNSSEC:N

Name servers:
arjeplog.scnr.ch [80.246.50.106]
dns1.syshack.org
dns2.easydns.net
dns2.syshack.org
elrido.no-ip.org
lou.porcus.ch [193.28.181.57]
marmotta.brabbel.ch [217.147.219.146]
ns1.buzzernet.net
ns1.pcdog.ch [85.124.251.171]
ns1.twisted4life.com
ns2.easydns.com
s2.s3cr3t.de
v217241437.yourvserver.net

Here's an interesting blog post about the wisdom of these DDOS attacks.

I'll reproduce it in full for anyone considering joining in the cyber war because it's a laff:

Appropriate response

In the past few days there have been repeated instances of Denial of Service attacks against companies that have chosen not to provide their services to WikiLeaks.

There have also been accusations of government(s) being behind similar attacks on WikiLeaks. In the absence of evidence of the latter I think one should be careful to make that accusation. There is a much simpler explanation that is far more plausible: there are people not representing any government that do not like WikiLeaks.

While those who wish to support WikiLeaks may derive some form of satisfaction from instigating, encouraging, or even taking part in these attacks I would wish that they would take the time to think more carefully about what they are doing. I do not believe that Distributed Denial of Service attacks is an appropriate nor a productive way to resolve disagreements.

First of all, promoting your cause in ways that results in collateral damage on a large scale is fundamentally wrong. If the majority of people affected by your actions have no part in the wrong you wish to right, you are, by all objective measures, a nuisance and you can legitimately be punished for your actions. I can understand that it feels good to "stick it to the man", but there are other, better ways to do this than to force yourself upon those who have no part in this.

Second, by committing acts of vandalism that affect innocent bystanders you are providing your opposition with legal and moral ammo. They can now label you as criminals, risk factors and possibly even apply more frightening labels such as "enemy combatant", which is essentially code for "those for which no laws apply". This is not how you win. This is how you get some temporary satisfaction in exchange for losing any and all moral high ground, jeopardizing your credibility, and ultimately: your chances to accomplish anything.

The only way you can win is by taking the moral high road. If you want corporations to pay for underhanded dealings you do so by ensuring that they are asked hard questions, by digging out the facts and by making sure that those facts are brought to our attention.

This is hard work and most of you are not up for it. You are up against well-funded PR machines, lobbyists, politicians who would rather not have constituents looking too closely at what they are doing, and an impotent press that is suffering from lack of resources, lack of competence and lack of political independence. There is no shortage of tough challenges, but that does not justify applying counterproductive tactics.

You respond by being responsible citizens. Not by random acts of vandalism.

Thank you for reading.

See it here http://blog.borud.no/2010/12/appropriate-response.html

Archived