Wikileaks under dos attack

It's not affecting all card transactions, not by a long shot. It is affecting those that use Securecode which is a small number, and the merchants that are using it are turning it off in response to the problems as Mastercard are instructiong them to do so.

It was affecting the Link network too. And they're only the ones we're finding out about. No doubt the effects were widespread and affected many other areas.

It was affecting the Link network too. And they're only the ones we're finding out about. No doubt the effects were widespread and affected many other areas.

It was? Permit me to let you in on a little secret - I work for a company called First Data - google what they do and then tell me why you think I know exactly what the state is of the various schemes at the moment.

Should all public phone calls, all emails, letters, street conversations, private conversations be recorded and made public. Do we have a right to know, is it ok to do it if we have the capability?

Well, they can do what they like with my emails, the amount of crap I get (praise be for Junk filters in Thunderbird) and the amount of crap I don't get (praise be for SpamAssasin).

I don't think we'll ever have the storage capacity to record and store all conversations though (just too many, and mostly about crap).

It was? Permit me to let you in on a little secret - I work for a company called First Data - google what they do and then tell me why you think I know exactly what the state is of the various schemes at the moment.

So you're telling me the link network wasn't affected (I tried 3 different machines in Hillsborough - All rejected requests - today?, no problems)?

So you're telling me the link network wasn't affected (I tried 3 different machines in Hillsborough - All rejected requests - today?, no problems)?

Depends who you bank with - that would be more likley to be an issue at your bank. If there were lots of people having problems though from different banks that's more likley to be a local comms problem where someone usually JCB's a fibre connection. Somehting I dont have to deal with any more - grubbing ina trench in show polishing fibreglass is not something I relished.

If card payment services had been disrupted significantly, many journalists would have been caught out, and if a widespread attack on the big three or four was really successful it would be headline news, as no-one would be able to get cash out a machine, buy petrol, groceries, airline tickets, and the banks would be stuffed with people queuing for cash.

I've not seen this yet.

But I'm in agreement with the norwegian blogger quoted earlier - although neither condemned nor endorsed by wilileaks, these DDOS attacks are not the right way to effect a change.

Archived