Wikileaks under dos attack

Wikileaks is very well distributed and mirror. It also has lots of mirrors in countries that aren't likely to co-operate with the US. I don't think they be able to down it or stop it for long.

It does, but when its DNS provider drops it like a hot potato, then no amount of mirrors can fix that. It won't take them long to get some more resilient DNS up I would think. The Pirate Bay managed it.

No, I think you're just applying a bit of common sense rather than going for the most outlandish and exciting possibility.

Load balancing takes care of slashdotted domains for the most part, this isn't an increase in formed requests, this is a successful attempt to make it difficult for everyone hosting wikileaks, or providing DNS services for wikileaks, to also service their other customers, and hence dropping their wikileaks accounts like the abovementioned tubers.

What is worrying is how people are so subservient they are unable to even muster much of an opinion on this.

The sex allegations, the DOS attacks where do people think these are coming from?

Sex allegations are coincidental. It's possible they are trumped up, but it would be rash to assume they are at this stage.

In spite of the cool, laugh it off somewhat, international reaction, the US adminstration (whose memoranda these are) appears to be internally incandescent at the leak. Lots of people now want to wipe wikileaks off the map.

To which I have to say: :hihi: study the internet, fools.

Sex allegations are coincidental. It's possible they are trumped up, but it would be rash to assume they are at this stage..

Yes, all allegations should be thoroughly investigated, alarm bells should be ringing when after the first large leak, these allegations materialise, then are thrown out only to reappear days after the second leak. The coincidental timing is a million to one shot at best.

Sure, but claiming its dirty tricks, when it's sub judice, is a poor show.

Scratch that. It's just that I personally suspect Assange of being a charismatic, self obsessed weirdo and somehow this story feels plausible to me. That the arraignment keeps falling asleep and waking up is, as you say, beyond coincidence.

The wikileaks dDos attack, however, is incontrovertibly real.

Assange is a self styled iconoclast, and is perhaps not the best person to run wikileaks - he's made it into a secret society more or less (perhaps out of necessity it seems), but he's playing a smart game.

The last time I looked he had only released 640 odd memoranda, so he's barely scratched the surface with quarter of a million of them waiting for freedom still.

No wonder people like Hilary Clinton are going ape*****. They may be publically laughing it off, but now the USA is going to be the butt of diplomatic jokes for the next quarter century. Robert Gates is uncharacteristically sanguine on the surface but I bet blood vessels are bursting all over Washington.

If Assange had dumped the whole lot of data in one go, he'd be locked in a container at stansted by now; a container designated as sovereign Moroccan territory, with a nice man from a three letter agency asking him questions with his testicles in a vice. Instead he's drip feeding it to the papers and the public.

Presumably he's made a few copies eh?

Aside from a few ruffled feathers and bruised egos some damage has been done.

The Yemeni leader has been placed in an awkard position. He had told the Yemenis that the drones being used against Al Qaeda were Yemens and not American whereas in actual fact the reverse was true.

How this will affect his political future and further operations against Al Qaeda in Yemen is now uncertain.

The damage hasn't even started yet. Assange is cherry picking the funnies and hasn't scratched the surface of the quarter million diplomatic memoranda dating back to 1966.

There's a world of pain waiting to ooze out here. And I don't think anything, or anyone is going to stop it.

All he has to do, if things get hairy, is post a torrent to the information. After that, it's gone, it's out there and nothing can get it back.

As it stands, there's everything to play for. Only a few hundred released memoranda so far.

Currently released so far... 667 / 251,287

He had told the Yemenis that the drones being used against Al Qaeda were Yemens and not American whereas in actual fact the reverse was true.

Lies have short legs (German Proverb)

How many people are sitting at home right now wondering if what they said to the American Attaché is going to cost them their jobs and livelihoods. Probably about the same number that think what Defence Secretary Robert Gates thinks:

Every Other Government in the World Knows the United States Government Leaks Like a Sieve

Well, if they were in any doubt before …

This one's a bit ironic, given how we found out about it:

Embassy Berlin strongly recommends that the Washington

Terrorist Finance Tracking Program (TFTP) and data privacy

experts currently scheduled to visit Brussels next week also

visit Berlin to discuss TFTP and U.S. data privacy policy

with German officials. Germany is critical to the debate on

data protection issues within the EU and we need to engage

German government interlocutors, parliamentarians and opinion

makers. The exaggerated data privacy views of the current

minority governing partner, the Free Democratic Party (FDP),

have contributed to a domestic discussion that distorts U.S.

policy and is negatively-influencing the European debate.

Lies have short legs (German Proverb)

How many people are sitting at home right now wondering if what they said to the American Attaché is going to cost them their jobs and livelihoods. Probably about the same number that think what Defence Secretary Robert Gates thinks:

Well, if they were in any doubt before …

It's said that around 600 people have access to highly sensitive classified information. This is all part of a program on information sharing even down to army private Manning. But the fact that he could sit there and download a lot of this stuff without alarm bells going off somewhere else just shows what a crap system it was.

I dont know if Assange sees himself as the Great Enlightener or in the very possible event of doing a lot of time in a Swedish prison or life in Leavenworth as some kind of Truth Martyr

It's been a fair while since the first lot of leaks - any evidence of anyone being killed because of it?

What amazes me is that none of the forum conspiracy lovers have found anything that "proves" 9/11 was an inside job - surely some coded messages in there :cool:

Archived