U.S. opinion of Gordon Brown: "Weak and Unstable"

The other reasons were simply excuses to cover up the real purpose - illegal regime change.

I guess then after Hitler invaded Poland France and Britain set out about a regime change in Germany using the alliance with Poland as an excuse to declare war on Hitler

I guess then after Hitler invaded Poland France and Britain set out about a regime change in Germany using the alliance with Poland as an excuse to declare war on Hitler

You can't compare the two issues. Anyway, I'm off to bed, good talking with you again.

Of course they were considered, they were the reasons why we went to war after all! Everybody else knew it as well, but time and time again our government denied that they were the reasons for going to war.This one issue has cost Blair dearly, his legacy will be the lies he told.

Then I'd say the lesson to be learned from that is be open and honest with the people. Had he possessed a bit more savvy he would have addressed the nation and told them the truth that Saddam was an absolute menace to future peace in the middle east and if we dont deal with him now we'll pay the price later.

Why Blair denied these reasons doesn't make much sense

It's not really for debate. Going to war for regime change is illegal.

I don't recall that Britain went to war with Germany to remove Hitler from power. It may be a consequence of many wars but that isn't the same as going to war to do it.

It's not really for debate. Going to war for regime change is illegal.

I don't recall that Britain went to war with Germany to remove Hitler from power. It may be a consequence of many wars but that isn't the same as going to war to do it.

Surely the basis of a legal war is one that is fought to prevent heinous acts by a foreign regime continuing? Be it genocide or use of WMD or invading other nations, all would go back to the regime in charge of the offending country. The very nature of a legal war is one which is not against the people, but the leaders and their actions, of other nations. So regime change as an objective should be very high on the list in a legal war.

Archived