History of Furnival Gate

boyfriday

Does anyone know why Furnival Gate is called 'gate'? I think there's a Duke of Norfolk connection and 'gate' has some Anglo Saxon connection but guessing Furnival post dates that?

Any info would be appreciated and make me look clever in front of my family, which doesn't happen often!

I think it used to be called Furnival Street before the now defunct roundabout and underpass were built. :suspect: It got that name at the same time as Fitzwilliam Gate. Just an affectation by the planners, I suppose.

'Gate' in this instance means 'way' or 'road' as in Waingate, which means the cart way.

ETA: (quote)The Old Norse word gata and Old English word geat are both words originally meaning 'a way through.' In English it came to predominantly mean a way through a wall or fence, so we get the word gate. Gate is seen in street names in the north of England, but generally does not refer to an opening. The Vikings used their word to mean a way through a settlement, so it came to have the meaning of street e.g. Coppergate - 'The Street of the cup makers'.

Gate is from the old Norse gata, meaning road or street.

Furnival Gate used to be Furnival street until some town planner decided to change it, and was named after Lord Furnival - I think was one of the several titles of the Duke of Norfolk.

Fargate is probably the only original remaining 'gate' street name in Sheffield. Waingate may hark back to medieval times but in a town plan of 1736 it is shown as Bridge street.

Many thanks hillsbro, ruby, Grey and saxon, I was harbouring a fantasy that that there might have been a gatehouse for the Sheffield Castle estate on there, looks like I will have to endure the ridicule of my partner who told me otherwise.

Does anyone know why Furnival Gate is called 'gate'? I think there's a Duke of Norfolk connection and 'gate' has some Anglo Saxon connection but guessing Furnival post dates that?

Any info would be appreciated and make me look clever in front of my family, which doesn't happen often!

They were the Lords of Hallamshire for just short of 200 years, they also owned considerable parts of what is now the Peak National Park and Hope Valley. All of this kicked off with a guy called Waltheof, whose Sunday name was the Earl of Northumberland.

Your surely not trying to prove that you're related to the Moor in Kevin Costner's version of Robin Hood, that was Morgan Freeman for god's sake. :hihi:

Archived