Royal Mail deliveries in Snow - Sheffield Area

Wouldn't be surprised if the government wasn't thinking of having a look at how Royal Mail has made such a pigs ear of this.

It's become an utter farce.

Trouble now is that the ineptitude of Royal Mail will be hitting smaller on-line retailers whose customers will be deserting in droves. Bad for the economy and bad for the country.

I spoke to a postie online last night, regarding the back log clearance and how new mail is getting out but back log appears not to be this was the explanation:

"If you deliver 8 bags a day (about average) that fills your working day - a week backlog is therefore 48 bags. So delivering say 2 extra bags a day (after finishing your normal delivery) will take three and a half weeks. There is no extra staff to do it.

If I say that my office has a pile of packets about the size of a semi-detached house, in no order; can you then understand how a packet that arrived yesterday may well arrive before one that arrived a week ago?

Also, we missed 5 days delivery, do you know why? Because the terrific Sheffield City Council wouldn't grit the access road to the office. So all the mail never reached us. We would have missed very little if wasn't for Scrivens Skivers."

We can't blame the posties on the ground but the system seems very much to be flawed. :|

Just had a small parcel delivered which was posted on 29.11.10. I asked the postman what was happening with the larger parcels and he said there is a huge backlog and they might not arrive before Christmas. He said they are getting down it and they might arrive before then.

Well I bought a shirt online on Friday, sent out yesterday, and I got it this morning. Cheers Royal Mail lads.

As did my OH he ordered Friday and it was delivered yesterday. It appears that new stuff coming in goes on the top of the pile :|

Stuff I ordered in November still hasn't arrived and I'm not holding out much hope.