Royal Mail deliveries in Snow - Sheffield Area

Apologies for asking this question if it's already been asked but this thread is too big to go all the way through now.

Anyway... are we able to go to the local delivery/ sorting office and ask if there are parcels there which we can pick up? I know that I have two in the system somewhere which were posted Nov and Dec and I've had later posted parcels since.

Our poor postie is already choc-a-block with letters and cards let alone parcels. If I can collect (and others do the same) with ID etc, surely that might help clear some of the backlog?

That's what's bonkers about their deliveries. Order something now and it comes without delay, yet the dozen or so items I ordered two weeks ago don't arrive. All of which I know are small enough to go through the letterbox. The postie just came ten minutes ago and delivered one xmas card. How is that an effective use of resources when they've obviously got more post than that waiting to be delivered here? :confused: We'll probably go another three or four days with nothing. Certainly seems some sorting offices are better organised than others. Luck of the draw I guess.

As did my OH he ordered Friday and it was delivered yesterday. It appears that new stuff coming in goes on the top of the pile :|

Stuff I ordered in November still hasn't arrived and I'm not holding out much hope.

We called Crosspool this afternoon to ask about picking up items ourselves. When someone finally did answer the phone we just got the usual line of "the vans are in your area today with all the packets" and he was really reluctant for us to go in and collect the items. Basically said that if they haven't arrived by thursday to call again. We're waiting for fifteen things between us posted late november up to last week, and needless to say that at almost half 1, still nothing has arrived :rolleyes:

Edited by verandi

We called Crosspool this afternoon to ask about picking up items ourselves. When someone finally did answer the phone we just got the usual line of "the vans are in your area today with all the packets" and he was really reluctant for us to go in and collect the items. Basically said that if they haven't arrived by thursday to call again. We're waiting for fifteen things between us posted late november up to last week, and needless to say that at almost half 1, still nothing has arrived :rolleyes:

Ahh thanks, answers that then as it would be Tapton for us to pick up from as well.

I spoke to a postie online last night, regarding the back log clearance and how new mail is getting out but back log appears not to be this was the explanation:

"If you deliver 8 bags a day (about average) that fills your working day - a week backlog is therefore 48 bags. So delivering say 2 extra bags a day (after finishing your normal delivery) will take three and a half weeks. There is no extra staff to do it.

If I say that my office has a pile of packets about the size of a semi-detached house, in no order; can you then understand how a packet that arrived yesterday may well arrive before one that arrived a week ago?

Also, we missed 5 days delivery, do you know why? Because the terrific Sheffield City Council wouldn't grit the access road to the office. So all the mail never reached us. We would have missed very little if wasn't for Scrivens Skivers."

We can't blame the posties on the ground but the system seems very much to be flawed. :|

That doesn't explain parcels that are van delivered really. Nor why it seems woodseats office is so far worse than the other offices in the area. I've not seen a royal mail van in the past 4 days on my road, which is a major road. Usually see 2 or 3 before all this rubbish.

Got a parcel sent 25th November today. Was so happy to see it, until I picked it up and heard rattling. The contents are completely broken. No chance of getting a replacement in time for Christmas either. Sigh.

What was it?

I also had two packages (out of 10 or so) so at least somethings happening. I'm not too thrilled though, my girlfriend has already gone back home to her parents for Christmas while I'm stuck in Sheffield by myself waiting for presents to come through before I can join her.

What was it?

I also had two packages (out of 10 or so) so at least somethings happening. I'm not too thrilled though, my girlfriend has already gone back home to her parents for Christmas while I'm stuck in Sheffield by myself waiting for presents to come through before I can join her.

A very broken mug :(