Royal Mail deliveries in Snow - Sheffield Area

When the delivery time is 3 days, no I don't. And when you are working all the time and have very little opportunity to go shopping without the kids in tow, I don't think the start of December is too late at all. If I'd left ordering stuff until today, then not getting it in time would be fair enough. But not when I've ordered stuff in good time. Especially when I'm getting junk mail and letters posted 2 days ago, but not parcels that were ordered 2 weeks ago.

The delivery times for Standard Parcels is 3 to 5 working days, under normal conditions. Its not RMs fault the weather turned like it did.

Don't forget, as RM employees, we are customers too, and are in exactly the same boat as everyone on here. We want our deliveries, presents and all, and get no 'special treatment' just because we're the posties (in fact, there is no way we could find our own packets amongst the mountains of delayed stuff, even if we wanted to!!!).

None of the couriers handle anywhere near the amount of packets RM does.

Correct, and in fact deliveries from Home Network have just started arriving this week (over 3 weeks late). I have just called to return an expensive item that was received too late (for my daughters birthday) and they have told me I will have to wait until the new year as they are snowed under with delayed deliveries from the Chesterfield depot.

From their website, City/Town Post Codes Affected by Adverse Weather Conditions

Chesterfield S1 to S81 and Scunthorpe All DN, LN6, LN7, LN11, S63, S70 to S75, WF2, WF4, WF7 to WF9, W

Edited by yorkiepudd
added info

yep at least 150 cages are outside brightside lane full of amazon and play.com under a huge sheet to protect them from the weather,its a scandal, and its all down to royal mail "managers" trying to save a few quid, which will in turn cost royal mail millions in compo and lose big contracts such as amazon, play, asda etc, im sickened by these managers atittude!

Are you sure? Haven't seen that, but I will check tomorrow!

Despite the difficulties, I would still rather have RM than the private alternatives. Waiting for a parcel to arrive, well beyond the guaranteed delivery date and I know that they will try to deliver when I am not here. This will mean I will have to either take a day off work or travel to Chesterfield to pick it up. At least RM have local sorting offices where parcels can be retrieved.

Just had one letter delivered today, asked the post man where is all the rest of my usual post which i recieve on a weekly basis, he has told me that he is up to date on deliveries in my area S8 and it must be down to "other reasons" that my post has not been delivered? i give up:)

I'm not criticising post people who do generally good work. This is a management issue.

It's RM organisation which is at fault.

In the bad winter of 1979, we had normal deliveries as far as I recall, although the snow was far worse than anything seen so far this winter.

This year, local deliveries and collections were suspended for 9 days, apparently due to elf n' safety.

However, private companies ( TNT etc) still managed to make deliveries, so why can't Royal Mail?

I'm not criticising post people who do generally good work. This is a management issue.

It's RM organisation which is at fault.

In the bad winter of 1979, we had normal deliveries as far as I recall, although the snow was far worse than anything seen so far this winter.

This year, local deliveries and collections were suspended for 9 days, apparently due to elf n' safety.

However, private companies ( TNT etc) still managed to make deliveries, so why can't Royal Mail?

As far as I know, there was no 9 day suspension. Deliveries were generally suspended for 3 working days (but deliveries were still being made within a 1 mile radius of the DO where ever possible). Collections were made at Post offices (in most cases) every day apart from the Wednesday, although many post boxes remained unemptied until Saturday.

Private companies (which did and ARE still suffering delays) handle just a fraction of the volumes of mail that RM do, so are going to be less affected.