Royal Mail deliveries in Snow - Sheffield Area

Yes I looked outside, dug out my car, got in my car, drove to Wakefield, swaped car for bread van, delivered to 11 stores around Sheffield estates every day, took the van back, got in the car, drove home. If you want a solution you can find one.:huh:

You're mainly sat in a van, only having to get out 11 times to deliver to shops, which will have at least partly cleared/treated paths outside.

It's also easy to say 'Well I walked to work so why can't the posties do their job?'

Well firstly, we have no choice at present. RM is making daily decisions after assessing the conditions, and if they say they don't want staff going out then that's that.

Even if we did try at present, posties will firstly need to get onto their deliveries (how, seeing as buses are only running on main roads and there are nowhere near enough vans to transport everyone out) Then deliver to between 500-800 addresses. Most people are walking on the roads, which is leaving the paths largely untouched and still covered in deep snow.

The majority of people haven't cleared their paths, and the ones that are cleared now have a nice icy coating on them. Gates are frozen shut, letterboxes are frozen shut and lots of things to fall over are nicely hidden by the snow.

If you really think it's that easy, then try putting a 16kg bag on your back and walk through the snow and down every path you come across for 4+ hours.

Believe me not one postie wants to leave the mail and not deliver it for day after day, it's just going to make it a nightmare for us when we finally can get out there and start delivering again.

For anyone waiting for parcels (myself included) there will be weekend deliveries to clear the backlogs as soon as possible after deliveries recommence.

Edited by Rob_1

1. clear your path to your mailslot. your postman might have been but not delivered due to knee deep snow! (in-accessable)

2. Think twice about phoning or going online to arrange a redelivery, don't you think we have enough work coming in day by day with out having to go back to addresses we have already tried to deliver to because you good people don't want to go out in the cold? some of these people live with in a mile of the office, disabled and elderly aside of course.

3. Because of the recent weather, more people are not going to work so they're sitting at home and going on 'tinternet' and ordering stuff that they would have normally gone and bought, this adds to the volume, which we can't deliver because of said weather, so 'snowballs' if you pardon the pun. The knock on effect is unbelievable, people don't realise if we miss one days delivery, the next day is horrendous, so imagine if we miss three? please try and have a little patience!

1. clear your path to your mailslot. your postman might have been but not delivered due to knee deep snow! (in-accessable)

2. Think twice about phoning or going online to arrange a redelivery, don't you think we have enough work coming in day by day with out having to go back to addresses we have already tried to deliver to because you good people don't want to go out in the cold? some of these people live with in a mile of the office, disabled and elderly aside of course.

3. Because of the recent weather, more people are not going to work so they're sitting at home and going on 'tinternet' and ordering stuff that they would have normally gone and bought, this adds to the volume, which we can't deliver because of said weather, so 'snowballs' if you pardon the pun. The knock on effect is unbelievable, people don't realise if we miss one days delivery, the next day is horrendous, so imagine if we miss three? please try and have a little patience!

What about 4 days then? thats even worse, most people would just like to know whats going on so communication from the royal mail side would help, but theyre not communicating.

Aww, I feel sorry for them if they're working today... It's not fair walking miles in this snow, with heavy bags... They shouldn't have to do it, and people should just get over it.

My milkman manages and the 13yr old girl who delivers me paper bless em. They certainly will be getting an envelope this xmas.

My milkman manages and the 13yr old girl who delivers me paper bless em. They certainly will be getting an envelope this xmas.

A bottle of milk hardly weighs 16kg does it? The milkman isn't walking around either.

And I doubt a paper round constitutes of a 4hr slog to 800 houses (mine used to have 24 papers on it)

What about 4 days then? thats even worse, most people would just like to know whats going on so communication from the royal mail side would help, but theyre not communicating.

whats going on is: it has snowed like **** then everything has frozen so no deliveries, thought that was obvious! :loopy:

I know weve had snow geez, but we want to know whats going on, as in communication, if they told us what was exactly happening that would help, they wont put any statements for whats happening in different postcodes, and they wont even answer the phones, i find that a bit rediculous