Royal Mail deliveries in Snow - Sheffield Area

If being a postie is so easy why aren't all the hard working Polish and East European immigrants queuing up to do it ?

Because they'd rather "work" in processing where things are a "little" easier maybe ?

I'm not a postie by the way.

Ever tried getting a job as a postie? My old mate waited years to land such a cushy number.

Does your livelihood rely on regular and reliable postal deliveries? Mine does, along with hundreds of thousands of others. The most frustrating thing about the whole situation is that we are utterly powerless to do anything about it. The trip to the delivery office was the final straw. I can accept that mail deliveries were going to be delayed last week because of the exceptional weather, but to be blatently lied to by RM staff telling me that the delivery would be today was absolutely unacceptable. I have absolutely no confidence that my mail will be delivered in the near future, all the time my business suffers and I lose yet more money because of the utter disregard on the part of RM and its union members who refuse to make deliveries when it's now perfectly safe to do so. Actually, it was never dangerous, just uncomfortable and a bit of hard work. The health & safety excuse is utter crap.

On the subject of posties leaving cards when you're in, i often get the knock, open the door within seconds to see nobody is there and a red van speeding off. Then i look down at the floor of my gennal and find a nice big parcel. Happened several times, no signs of me being in, no cars etc. Just lucky Im always home

As pointed out by others that is probably what we would end up with.:|

Anyway, I don't buy the "competition improves standards" line. Take Sheffield buses for example following deregulation..........

Could that be more to do with the withdrawal of subsidy rather than de-regulation per-se?

An added issue with the RM....

At work we have one person whose job it is to pack and post all small parcels that we send via normal post rather than courier..it takes him on average a full day to pack a day's worth of orders so it's all quite straightforward.

Because of both increased order volume with a certain festival period fast approaching, coupled with our own shut-down for 2 days, we had 3 people working flat-out at faster speed in a "clear those orders" operation so probably sent about 5 times as many postal parcels out - basically a normal week's worth in one day.

I'm sure we're not the only company to have done similar at this time of year, therefore piling more parcels on top of the RM's own backlog

I notice too that hardly any houses on my steet have a clear path..probably people to busy moaning about the postman not walking up the path, to do something to help make the round that little bit easier in the conditions

Ever tried getting a job as a postie? My old mate waited years to land such a cushy number.

Does your livelihood rely on regular and reliable postal deliveries? Mine does, along with hundreds of thousands of others. The most frustrating thing about the whole situation is that we are utterly powerless to do anything about it. The trip to the delivery office was the final straw. I can accept that mail deliveries were going to be delayed last week because of the exceptional weather, but to be blatently lied to by RM staff telling me that the delivery would be today was absolutely unacceptable. I have absolutely no confidence that my mail will be delivered in the near future, all the time my business suffers and I lose yet more money because of the utter disregard on the part of RM and its union members who refuse to make deliveries when it's now perfectly safe to do so. Actually, it was never dangerous, just uncomfortable and a bit of hard work. The health & safety excuse is utter crap.

Never dangerous :loopy:

Airports closed

roads in chaos(5 1/2 hours from east midlands airport on tuesday)

schools closed

panic buying of bread and milk etc

At our office only 3 days were lost, anyone would think having no mail for a few days was the end of the world.

9 days and counting. For some businesses, no mail for 9 days can spell the end of the world in an already difficult climate. Your comment sums up how little you know about the world outside of the RM.

Never dangerous :loopy:

Airports closed

roads in chaos(5 1/2 hours from east midlands airport on tuesday)

schools closed

panic buying of bread and milk etc

Since when has walking up a snow covered footpath been dangerous? That's now the excuse for not delivering, nothing to do with roads, airports, schools or supermarkets. :rolleyes:

Fair enough, it would be unrealistic to think that deliveries would not be effected for a couple of days last week, but 9 bleedin' days and still not one single item of mail? Come on!!!

Just read about 100 posts on this thread and as usual am amazed at some of the content from the intelligencia of Sheffield and all the zoons that contribute on a regular basis.

Apologies for repeating something that may have already been on here.

Answers to the following please and surely this post can't invoke any stupid comments, or can it ?

Live in Sheffield 8 in the area of Westwick, Old Park, Crawshaw etc. at Greenhill.

No post since Monday 29th of Nov.

Whose decision has it been not to come around here, the management, union or the individual postie ?

Why when we have had bad snow over the past 60 years of my life and the post has been continued to be delivered, is it not being delivered now ?

Rather than deliver none, couldn't even a weeny bit of it been delivered ?

Whats the difference between blokes walking about and moving bins backward and forward and a postie walking about ?

Can I go down to the Delivery Office on Athol Road with ID and pick up my mail ?

What's the problem with RM in Sheffield issuing a statement explaining the current situation ?

When will normal deliveries commence ?

Nothing too controversal there, some sensible responses please !

Thanks !