How To / Not To Drive in the Snow

please clear your windows and lights

Please do clear your lights ... No point turning them on if they're covered in snow as no one can see them! They will melt the snow after a while but for the first 30 mins or so of driving your lights will be redundant.

You would think clearing windows is a basic of driving in the snow but i've seen numerous people with the famous "post box" sized slit in their window. like they have got in their car and not bothered to get out again and used their hand from their seat perhaps under the illusion that it will keep them warm. So not only are they misguided on the warmth thing they are also putting others at risk!

Ah the joys of winter motoring!

don't be too upset when a 15 year old Fiesta gets up the hill you cannot, or when people laugh at you for being stuck.

There's a lot of truth in the 15 year old fiesta thing - the fiesta was always my car of choice, and I had years of trouble free driving - whatever the weather. It excelled in snow, I used to laugh at all the newer cars struggling on snow with the 1-in-20 inclines.

I find it hard to laugh at myself now however, with the advent of a modern new car (Civic), I find myself in that position now, whether the traction is on or off, and whether I tease the car forwards, it slips and slides like a slippy-slidy thing. I've driven many a car in my time, old bangers, and prestige multi thousand pound motors, but nothing, absolutely nothing is quite as useless as this new Civic in the snow and ice.

There's a lot of truth in the 15 year old fiesta thing - the fiesta was always my car of choice, and I had years of trouble free driving - whatever the weather. It excelled in snow, I used to laugh at all the newer cars struggling on snow with the 1-in-20 inclines.

I find it hard to laugh at myself now however, with the advent of a modern new car (Civic), I find myself in that position now, whether the traction is on or off, and whether I tease the car forwards, it slips and slides like a slippy-slidy thing. I've driven many a car in my time, old bangers, and prestige multi thousand pound motors, but nothing, absolutely nothing is quite as useless as this new Civic in the snow and ice.

As others have said, it's the combination of summer tyres, the weight of the car and the fact that modern cars have tyres that are lower profile and wider than cars of yore.

Your Fiesta probably weighed not much more than half of your Civic and no doubt had skinny tyres with a tall sidewall, all the better to cut through the snow - and chances are the tread was more like a modern winter tyre than a modern summer tyre.

Sounds like your Civic needs some sensible winter shoes. I have one car with and one car without winter tyres. It's like night and day.

Turn off your traction control when trying to drive up steep inclines.

I've never had a car with TC - what's the reasoning behind this?

I know some early ABS cars had an ABS off switch, for use on loose snow and gravel, but not sure how turning TC off helps. Interested to know more.

I've never had a car with TC - what's the reasoning behind this?

I know some early ABS cars had an ABS off switch, for use on loose snow and gravel, but not sure how turning TC off helps. Interested to know more.

TC detects when a wheel spins, and cuts power from the engine, thus halting any forwards progress; it's usually felt as the car bogging down; thus losing momentum up the hill.

Allowing a little wheel spin can be a good thing.

Another tip is this: Do not leave your vehicle ticking over on your drive/road etc unattended. If you must do this, lock it up with your spare key before returning indoors....Thieves will always take advantage of cold winter mornings for this reason :-)

A lady across our street had her car nicked this morning for leaving it running and unlocked.

Obviously you don't live on or near a steep, not council-cleared incline ;):D

(e.g. my "cold idle" is too fast for engine-braking down the incline, careful use of my brakes could work, but normal idle works better/is safer)

Downhill - of course - didn't think of that! You're still relying on the grip on the road/snow for deceleration whether it's engine braking or normal brakes though, so surely it doesn't make that much difference?

Another tip is this: Do not leave your vehicle ticking over on your drive/road etc unattended. If you must do this, lock it up with your spare key before returning indoors....Thieves will always take advantage of cold winter mornings for this reason :-)

A lady across our street had her car nicked this morning for leaving it running and unlocked.

Absolutely - understandably insurance companies aren't too keen on paying out if your car is stolen if you leave it unlocked, unattended and with the engine running.

Archived