How To / Not To Drive in the Snow

...and you'll quickly get addicted once you learn how to not only handbrake turn but then counter steer, floor the throttle and get some nice slow-motion drifts going.

B&Q on queens road is good as there's lamposts and stuff you can practice manouvering round once you've got the feel for it.

Sadly the Multipla has the handbrake on the right so I'll have to completely re-learn the skill at some point - my left and right hands only know how to brake and steer, not steer and brake :-)

That said, the sodding handbrake freezes on it because the cable sheath has split (have been parking it in gear) so until you've driven it for long enough for the exhaust heart to have thawed it out, the handbrake is a bit dodgy.

Only last week, I heard an Advanced Driving instructor crucify someone for trying to use this method. Which, I have to say, I found a little odd.

It is odd if the criticism was dealt out when attempting to deal with snow - going down through a gear or two gently and smoothly may help avoid wheel slip/slide on slowing although early, gentle, smooth one-motion braking can achieve the same.

In normal conditions, drivers at L-test and at Advanced are encouraged (mostly) to block change (down) and "one gear change per hazard" is an Advanced mantra which takes a while for some to learn and adopt. The logic behind it is that modern cars have very cheap, effective brakes and relatively light engines, gearboxes and transmissions that are poor at braking. This contrasts sharply with how it used to be (heavy engines etc and rubbish brakes).

Making just one gear change per hazard also gives the driver more control, it is said, since his/her hands are on the wheel for longer on the approach to the hazard and a gear is engaged for longer with clutch up. This means less work for the hands and feet, more for the brain, though, to spot or manufacture the gap through the hazard and to pick one gear to suit the gap, the hazard and the ongoing speed.

Still, to criticise a driver for going down the gears on slowing (presumably on a straight line) strongly enough for someone to use the word "crucify" is a little strong.

There's a lot of truth in the 15 year old fiesta thing - the fiesta was always my car of choice, and I had years of trouble free driving - whatever the weather. It excelled in snow, I used to laugh at all the newer cars struggling on snow with the 1-in-20 inclines.

I find it hard to laugh at myself now however, with the advent of a modern new car (Civic), I find myself in that position now, whether the traction is on or off, and whether I tease the car forwards, it slips and slides like a slippy-slidy thing. I've driven many a car in my time, old bangers, and prestige multi thousand pound motors, but nothing, absolutely nothing is quite as useless as this new Civic in the snow and ice.

I had a 12 year old Fiesta last year, it was brilliant in the snow. It didn't go very fast, but it chugged away up the snowy hills no problem. I sold it because the engine was making some dodgy noises, I might regret that considering the current weather! :)

The logic behind it is that modern cars have very cheap, effective brakes and relatively light engines, gearboxes and transmissions that are poor at braking. This contrasts sharply with how it used to be (heavy engines etc and rubbish brakes).

Well, that makes sense; and no, the circumstances at the time did not involve snow. I got the impression, though, from what he said, that using the gears to slow you down is one of the worst driving sins you can commit; I remember a time when it was recommended.

Well, that makes sense; and no, the circumstances at the time did not involve snow. I got the impression, though, from what he said, that using the gears to slow you down is one of the worst driving sins you can commit; I remember a time when it was recommended.

The general rule of thumb now with driving instruction is that brake pads and disks are much cheaper and easier to replace than replacing the clutch and/or gearbox, Also, in slippery conditions, the 'sudden' change of wheel speed can cause the vehicle to skid.

Of course, when executed correctly, the gears always provide much better vehicle control than relying on brakes alone (which during icy conditions, are just as capable of skidding as a sudden gear change)

Some good sensible advice on this thread, it would be nice to think more people would take these on board and make the roads a slightly safer place or at least make their journeys a little easier.

A couple of tips i will offer..

If attempting going down a steep hill in slippery conditions, as well as what should be the obvious (correct gear etc)... try to 'hug' the kerb edge (without 'scrubbing' it).. that way, if the vehicle does start to slip, turn your wheels toward the kerb and providing your traveling gently enough, your 'turned' wheels will use the kerb as both a brake and a guide (like rails) and will help to steer the vehicle along the line of the road until you come to a stop or resume control.

**Note, if your too far away from the kerb or traveling too fast, you will simply end up mounting the kerb and mowing down innocent pedestrians... slow speed and be very close to the kerb to start with**

Going uphill, the trick is to keep momentum going... stopping or changing of speed is bad news so try to allow the vehicle in front to get to the top before you attempt it, if your directly behind and the vehicle in front looses traction, you will (probably) have to stop too, this results in 2 or more stranded vehicles (depending on how many vehicles are behind you)... If you ensure at least a decent gap, if the vehicle in front looses traction you have time to negotiate around it without stopping.

The general rule of thumb now with driving instruction is that brake pads and disks are much cheaper and easier to replace than replacing the clutch and/or gearbox,
That just sounds daft. Clutch/gearbox are orders of magnitude stronger/more resilient than pads/discs.

I've always used engine braking much more than middle pedal braking, from 20 year old cars to brand new cars, and not once have I ever had to change/replace a clutch/gear box, or sufferred premature wear.

Incidentally, it is a great way to 'gently' incentivise a tailgating driver to put some margin in their following distance ;)

As you posted before, so long as it is done progressively, using the right gear under circumstances/for the load...

Of course, when executed correctly, the gears always provide much better vehicle control than relying on brakes alone (which during icy conditions, are just as capable of skidding as a sudden gear change)
indeed.

Which is why this (retrograding long before applying brakes to come to a stop) is still the standard tuition method over in France, more than 20 years after I first learned to drive :)

If attempting going down a steep hill in slippery conditions, as well as what should be the obvious (correct gear etc)... try to 'hug' the kerb edge (without 'scrubbing' it).. that way, if the vehicle does start to slip, turn your wheels toward the kerb and providing your traveling gently enough, your 'turned' wheels will use the kerb as both a brake and a guide (like rails) and will help to steer the vehicle along the line of the road until you come to a stop or resume control.
Another tip, for RWD'ers. This also works well when going uphill, if the road has a slight cantilever towards the kerb. Basically, oversteer your car very lightly (rear nearside tyre against curb, front at a slight angle), and 'bump yourself up' (tyre) along the kerb. Handy when your RWD won't go up the gentle incline from a roundabout exit, after you lost momentum in the queuing traffic ;)

Sounds very much like the person making the critical remarks was "ex-job" (Traffic Cop?) and was criticising without laying out the benefits of a different approach. "Advanced" = police driving, as it bases itself on "Roadcraft", the police drivers' manual.

The dogmatic just-do-it (rather than "win-you-around") and "anything else is plain wrong" trait is more common than I would like, although there are always exceptions to the rule.

9) Get two pairs of old jeans and put them in your boot tonight. If you get stuck, put them under the driven wheels. You should get just enough grip to get moving. If you want you can tie some rope the jeans so you can tie them to your bumper, so they come with you and you don't have to stop again. Assuming you could stop. It might just get you home, or at the very least stop you blocking a road I want to use!

Any other tips?

Trouble with your tip 9 is that I'm still wearing my old jeans...:o

Any other tips?

Yep, my bike is fab in the snow!

Archived