Loxley Chapel and burial ground

Iain Kelly

• 1 year later...
Does anyone know if there are any war graves at Loxley?

If there are the CWGC can be quite hot in writing to the owners to make the graves accessible.

Just a thought.

If there are any war graves, you can bet that they will have been tidied up already. However, the CWGC are not responsible for tidying up any civilian graves that may be nearby. A case in point is the old cemetery at Wisewood. The war grave/memorial is in immaculate condition, but the surrounding graves in the old part of the cemetery are so covered in brambles and nettles that it is like a forest. It is likely that the families of the deceased have now died or moved on, but that is no excuse for allowing the cemetery to deteriorate like that, especially as the church is still in use. Burial plots may indeed be privately owned, but surely as the cemetery itself is hallowed ground, it is the responsibility of the church to make sure that the land is kept reasonably clear.

Another old cemetery that is falling into neglect is the one on Rivelin Road. Part of it still accepts new burials and is reasonably well looked after, but the whole place is shabby and, quite frankly, depressing. There is a smaller cemetery next to the larger one - separated by a wall - I believe that one is also still accepting new graves, but it is a dingy place. When I compare both Rivelin and Wisewood cemeteries to the well-maintained Abbey Lane and City Road cemeteries, I feel ashamed. Whoever the owners are of these smaller cemeteries, I feel that when they buy such land, they have a duty of care to look after it properly.

If there are any war graves, you can bet that they will have been tidied up already. However, the CWGC are not responsible for tidying up any civilian graves that may be nearby. A case in point is the old cemetery at Wisewood. The war grave/memorial is in immaculate condition, but the surrounding graves in the old part of the cemetery are so covered in brambles and nettles that it is like a forest. It is likely that the families of the deceased have now died or moved on, but that is no excuse for allowing the cemetery to deteriorate like that, especially as the church is still in use. Burial plots may indeed be privately owned, but surely as the cemetery itself is hallowed ground, it is the responsibility of the church to make sure that the land is kept reasonably clear.

Another old cemetery that is falling into neglect is the one on Rivelin Road. Part of it still accepts new burials and is reasonably well looked after, but the whole place is shabby and, quite frankly, depressing. There is a smaller cemetery next to the larger one - separated by a wall - I believe that one is also still accepting new graves, but it is a dingy place. When I compare both Rivelin and Wisewood cemeteries to the well-maintained Abbey Lane and City Road cemeteries, I feel ashamed. Whoever the owners are of these smaller cemeteries, I feel that when they buy such land, they have a duty of care to look after it properly.

My personal view is that new owners don't have an incentive to look after them. I believe that if a graveyard is not added to for over 50 years then the land can look to be redeveloped. I'M tempted to be obstinate and ask to be buried there when the time comes ...

Last year, I did everything I could think of to get the then owners to tidy the graveyard & chapel at Loxley. This included contacting the Councillors for the area & English Heritage (The chapel is on their at risk register) . I even had an article printed in The Star. Sheffield Conservation Volunteers were agreeable to look at tidying the graveyard up but they would require expenses for doing it. The last I heard, new owners had purchased all the lot, so I was told to expect changes.

I find this so sad - many of our relatives are buried there & we can't even visit the graves. Burials are still taking place.

Edited by gregnig
wording changed

• 2 months later...

I was really surprised when visiting Sheffield last week to be told that my feelings on Loxley chapel had been in the Star. I was a bit perplexed given how long ago I started this post. At the time I ran into so many walls, and so little co operation that aside from bringing a strimmer up to Sheffield and doing it all myself there didn't seem to be much I could do. I understood the Hague's position and was more upset with a) the Church for selling a burial ground with no provision for maintenance and b) English Heritage who were entirely disinterested and dismissive of the chapel.

I'd like to ask if anyone knows why this has found it's way into the press again (the Daily Mail also covered it)? Also, does anyone know the state of play re the chapel, new owners, plans, etc? I'd be grateful if anyone could bring me up to date.

I still care deeply about this place and what has happened to it. I'd be more than willing to get involved on any level if any good can be done.

Thanks, Iain

What a really sad situation but sadly not uncommon, IV visited Loxley Chapel myself a few years ago the building is beautiful if you are prepared to look beyond the decay. While there I had a look round the cemetery it was at the height of summer it was a nightmare trying to get round . In fact I came across a family who were looking for a family member who was buried there , it became clear they had been there for hours and all but given up . You could tell they were quite angry and disappointed and wounded why the cemetery had been allowed to get into that state. I have seen photos of the inside of the chapel its really bad now the ceilings are falling in. As for English Heritage I once tired to get a good example of Queen Anne pub architecture listed, no chance but happily a new owner was found and the building restored . The only thing I can think with this situation is the owners are more interested in the land not the building for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

This post has been put together to provide information to people with connections and/or interests in Loxley Chapel and Cemetery in order to help them find, maintain and/or purchase a burial plot.

A sign has recently been made and donated to Loxley Chapel & Cemetery by the surviving relatives of one family with relatives resting in Loxley Cemetery. The sign has been fitted to the gate on Long Lane for the purpose of acknowledging the existence of the Chapel & Cemetery and bringing them to the attention of the passing public. It is also intended to provide people with the contact details of whom owns the cemetery, and whom manages the purchasing of plots and any subsequent burials.

If you wish to complain about the condition of the access paths and/or Chapel please contact Hague Plant Limited (Not to be mistaken with Martin Hague Haulage Limited), whose details can be found below.

Before making a complaint to Hague Plant Limited, please understand that they are only responsible for the maintenance of the access paths and the Old Chapel Building, and that the surviving relatives of the person(s) buried in Loxley Cemetery are responsible for the maintenance of each individual plot.

I know this can be frustrating, but please understand that over time the surviving relatives of those who are buried there are further and further removed to the point that they may never have known those particular relatives at all, and although I am of the opinion that it’s not the way things should be, I reluctantly accept that this is unfortunately the way things are and will continue to be.

If you have visited the cemetery in the last few years you will already be aware that it is becoming increasingly difficult to visit the resting place of relatives due to the unevenness of the main path, which in places is quite dangerous, especially around the ‘top bend’, so unless the ground is ‘bone dry’ it can be very hazardous to make your way along the uneven ground.

I appreciate that the cemetery is unlikely to generate much, if any return on Hague Plant Limited’s investment, and whilst I genuinely hope that one day they are able to renovate Loxley Chapel should they still wish to do so, I am of the belief that the main path should be maintained regardless.

I am aware that Hague Plant Limited have been asked very recently to look into the possibility of using the machinery and persons at their disposal to ‘level off’ the main path. The request was made for a simple path, so it wouldn’t be anything elaborate, just a re-instated path consisting of a flat surface that is wide enough for people to walk down that the grass will regrow over, which I believe would be a huge improvement to the cemetery.

If you would like to show your support for the re-instatement of the path then I recommend that you write to or phone Hague Plant Limited to express your concerns and show that this is a universal issue effecting all who visit the cemetery, because the more people that get involved the better chance we have of making real changes to the cemetery.

However, I would urge you to please refrain from ‘ranting and raving’ at Hague’s Plant Limited, as we are looking to ‘mend bridges’ and implement change, not to ‘rub them up the wrong way & burn bridges down’ as this will not get us anywhere.

If no verbal or physical progress is made over the summer months then it would be clear that the owners have no intension of doing anything, and it would be then that people could start writing to governing bodies and the Hague Plant Limited’s governing accreditations to raise concerns with them directly, for example;

- The Sheffield Hallam MP (Currently Nick Clegg),

- Sheffield City Council,

- The Environment Agency,

- The Health & Safety Executive,

- Sheffield Chamber Of Commerce

- CHAS

- Construction Line etc.

However, this should be a last resort and Hague’s Plant Limited should be allowed the opportunity to respond and comment of any requests and concerns before any such action is taken.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, and hopefully we are able to work together and achieve the desired results.

Trying To Find Loxley Chapel & Cemetery?

Loxley Chapel & Cemetery can be found on Long Lane in Sheffield. The business located next to Loxley Cemetery (on the same side of the road) is:

Loxley Nurseries

Long Lane

Loxley

Sheffield

S6 6RL

0114 233 7134

(Monday To Saturday 9am To 5pm and Sunday & Bank Holidays 10am To 4.30pm)

Want To Purchase A Burial Plot In Loxley Cemetery?

John Fairest Funeral Directors

10/56 Penistone Road North

Sheffield

S6 1LQ

0114 234 3129

Want To Make A Complaint About The Condition Of The Path In Loxley Cemetery Or Loxley Chapel?

David William Hague / William Hague / Dianne Hague

Hague Plant Limited

Jubilee House

Claywheels Lane

Sheffield

S6 1LZ

0114 283 4970

Want To Find A Burial Plot Or Person Buried In Loxley Cemetery?

Data CD’s & Maps containing the Parish Of Bradfield Burials At Loxley Congregation Chapel are available from the below at a cost of £5.00 sterling (including P&P).

Bradfield Historical Society

c/o 27 Chase Road

Loxley

Sheffield

S6 6RA

Need More Than A Strimmer To Gain Access To A Burial Plot In Loxley Cemetery?

1.5 Tonne Kobuta Mini Digger, Buckets, Breaker & Driver Hire (Including Fuel) Charged At £150.00 per day.

Also Available Is A 16 Tonne Grab Lorry If Removal Of A Large Quantity Of Waste Is Required, Charged At £180.00 per 16 Tonne load).

Call Tony On

07900 507475

(9am To 6pm 7days A Week)

Need A Headstone/Edging Stone Cleaning And/Or Repainting, Or A New Flower Pot For A Burial Plot In Loxley Cemetery?

James Lindley & Son Monumental Masons

12 Worrall Road

Sheffield

S6 4BA

0114 234 3439

Need Flowers And/Or A Seasonal Wreath Or Arrangement For A Burial Plot In Loxley Cemetery?

Sarah’s Florist

297 Middlewood Road

Sheffield

S6 1TG

0114 285 5110

(Monday To Saturday 8am To 5pm And Sunday Seasonal)

Flourish Florists

233 Crookes Road

Sheffield

S10 1TE

0114 266 6263

(Monday To Saturday 9am To 5.30pm And Sunday Seasonal)

Edited by LoxleyS6
Removal Request From Other Member