Loxley Chapel and burial ground

Iain Kelly

My dad's mum and dad are in there my dad goes every week with his battery strimmer and keeps path to his parents grave clear. If more people did this it would help it look better. His parents grave is kept lovely all year round with fresh bedding plants. The only time I rang hagues is when the sheep they put on kept eating the plants. My dad wants his ashes putting there when he dies so I will be keeping up the good work my parents do.

Hi Kizzyadd3592,

You dad's perseverance is commendable, as are the efforts of all who maintain more than their fair share of the cemetery in order to pay their respects to their loved ones.

It is thanks to people like this that others are able to access plots that would otherwise be inaccessible to all but the most determined of relatives.

Sadly there are too few of us whom still visit the cemetery to make this a sustainable process moving forward and I truly hope that your dad is one day able to retire his strimmer and visit the cemetery with only flowers in hand.

Many thanks to your dad for his much appreciated contribution!

LoxleyS6

Hi Chrissy,

Upon going through the documentation that I have I realised that I have more info than I first thought, but unfortunately I don't think I've been able to locate the plot that you are looking for as the dates don't match.

There are 25 persons with the surname of Marsh in the lower cemetery, from 1826 to 1961.

e.g First Name (Age) Year Of Burial

John (57) 1826

John (2) 1827

Child (1) 1828

William (37) 1837

Benjamin (3weeks) 1838

Henry (8) 1839

Rachel (35) 1844

John (80) 1859

Hannah (82) 1865

Arthur (14) 1870

George (66) 1874

Henry (24) 1877

John (77) 1877

Elizabeth Howe (33) 1879

Charity (1) 1882

Faith (1+) 1882

Gladys Hilda (23days) 1891

Marriott Thompson (3) 1891

Joseph Henry (2) 1894

Ethel Myra (7months) 1911

Theresa Ellen (74) 1927

William (84) 1934

James Mudford (67) 1954

Polly (89) 1961

Charles Edward (75) 1959

James Mudfords residence was

Gordon Villas, Stannington.

Pollys residence was

Mowson Lane, Worrall, Sheffield.

Charles Edwards residence was

Harris Road, Sheffield.

(I have the month & day of burial to go with the years listed above, along with plot numbers & positions if required)

If, as I suspect, your great grandparents are not listed above then I suspect that they are at rest in the upper cemetery, the records for which I think can only be viewed by appointment at John Fairest Funeral Directors at Hillsborough.

Although this is unfortunate news in one respect, it's not all bad news because the upper cemetery is arguably easier to access due to the burials been more recent, which means that there are other surviving loved ones who still maintain plots, and paths to access them.

<Note To All Post Readers>

I can't make any promises of when I would get back to you, but if anyone would like me to look up a name in the records that I have of the lower cemetery I would be happy to do this for you, and In return I would kindly ask that you place a single flower on any of the war or flood graves in the cemetery upon your next visit.

---------- Post added 24-07-2015 at 21:37 ----------

p.s. It looks like Henry's age has converted itself into a picture in the above post, but sadly he was only eight when he died. Sorry about that Henry & may you rest in peace.

Hi LoxleyS6

Thank you again for your help and time in trying to locate my grandparents' grave. I bet some of the Marshs are people who were related to my grandparents.

My grandma was called kathleen Marsh - 1900-1976

My granddad was called Harvey Marsh - 1897-1974

I think they were buried in the same plot.

It was easier to trace by grandma's brother Harry Hill who was killed in France in the first world war.

chrissyy

Hi Chrissyy,

I know, it's a real shame that someone like yourself who is willing to maintain a plot can't access I it to be able to do so.

I did have a good thorough look around for you when I visited the cemetery last weekend, but sadly there were no visible headstones that had the correct inscriptions that I could see.

Hopefully it's just to the side of a grave and/or path that are already being maintained. At least then you'll be able to access and maintain it more easily.

Good luck, and please let us know if/when you locate the plot/plot position as it would be nice to hear a positive story attached to Loxley Cemetery for a change.

Hi Loxley S6

Thank you for taking your time and looking for my grandparents' graves.

When we looked around the cemetery last year, we were there for about two hours looking.

We are going to have another visit hopefully soon with other members of my family. We will be bring some shears and cordless strimmer so that we can get better access to the plots.

Chrissyy

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

To the best of my knowledge there are no 'online' records for Wisewood Cemetery due to the fact that the cemetery is still accepting new burials.

Sheffield Archives (contact details for which can be found on page 2 of this thread) may have some of the older records on file depending on the data protection restrictions.

Failing that, it would be a phone call to one of the bigger cemeteries like City Road Cemetery or Sheffield General Cemetery Trust to find out where the official records for Wisewood Cemetery are kept, as you are able to book an appointment to view them, however you are unlikely to be able to make any copies, again due to data protection.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your reply, it's really appreciated.

I'm not totally sure that I have the right cemetery, I just gave distinct memories of a river running through the back of cemetery. I have only been the once as I live in Liverpool; it's coming to 10 year anniversary of my friend passing and would like to plan a visit.

Xx