Can gritters damage your car at low speeds?

Sony

One went past me this afternoon the other side. My heart sank. The noise it made was awful. I got out to check if any damage but can't really spot anything partly due to the fact that the car is filthy ( was immaculate this morning!).

Could they possibly cause damage going at 30 mph and the salt hitting the side of your car? I mean do they actually cause damage??!

Before anyone starts:

I am so genuinely grateful for our nation's gritters, without them we would all be dead.;)

I think the OP is referring to the grit from the gritter hitting their car as apposed to the gritting truck hitting their car.However, in answer to the latter, yes.. instant death!

Former, no.. not usually unless your car has very thin paintwork.

Same answer. If the truck is doing 35 mph so is the grit?:roll:

If you are in a plane doing 400mph and you are sat still in the plane do you think that you are not travelling at 400 mph?:(

Same answer. If the truck is doing 35 mph so is the grit?:roll:

If you are in a plane doing 400mph and you are sat still in the plane do you think that you are not travelling at 400 mph?:(

Indeed, however the big difference to the amount of damage is largely dependent upon the weight of the offending item.

The individual pieces of grit weigh?...what 1/2 gram maybe?

And the Gritter truck (unladen) weighs?... about 12 tonnes?

1/2 a gram hitting your car at 30mph is going to cause less damage than a 12 tonne truck traveling at the same (and indeed much less) speed. :rolleyes:

Archived