Does anyone know reasonable Car insurance Company for my 18 year old

You obviously didn't bother reading the whole of my first post, or you'd have noticed the bit where I said I know they have to do it that way. So I won't bother saying any more, because clearly all you want to do is argue.

Missing you already.

There is something that I've always found strange about young drivers/insurance etc.

Cars have an engine management system. It is possible to get it rechipped to alter the performance. Mine has a chip that limits its top speed.

It's just a thought but if a driver had a chip fitted and sealed which prevented the car from exceeding say 60 mph it might be a real incentive for an insurance company to offer greatly reduced premiums. Fit a chip and a green L plate after passing your test ....

There is something that I've always found strange about young drivers/insurance etc.

Cars have an engine management system. It is possible to get it rechipped to alter the performance. Mine has a chip that limits its top speed.

It's just a thought but if a driver had a chip fitted and sealed which prevented the car from exceeding say 60 mph it might be a real incentive for an insurance company to offer greatly reduced premiums. Fit a chip and a green L plate after passing your test ....

Isnt there schemes like that in place or at least talk of them?

The scheme would see young drivers banned from night driving, drinking alcohol and carrying passengers of a similar age for up to years after passing their test.

Similar schemes are already operated in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and parts of the US.

I would add to this engine size restrictions and mechanical restrictions as you suggested.

Isnt there schemes like that in place or at least talk of them?

I would add to this engine size restrictions and mechanical restrictions as you suggested.

I've heard of them in France where an onboard camera films everything that goes on in the car in exchange for a reduced premium.

Last time I went to the USA I hired a Ford thingimagig. Because of my age I was required to use a set of keys which limited the top speed of the thing. I'm not sure what that speed was as I never got anywhere near it.

I suppose that's the point. Many young drivers aren't maniacs, but a lot are. A speed limiting device would only upset those intent on driving like loonies, but the insurance benefit would be to the sensible ones who are currently penalised for being in an at risk category.

Missing you already.

Never said I was bowing out of the thread altogether - I'm just not going to argue with you when I'd already acknowledged the very point you were intent on pressing home.

A good idea. Well, the chip anyway. And it could even be extended to any driver who wanted to maximise their 'appeal' to the insurance companies, not just new/young ones.

I'm not so sure about the green L plates. I think they tend to elicit mixed reactions among other drivers. Considerate drivers might go a little further out of their way to accommodate them, but I think aggressive morons might be inclined to be even more aggressive and moronic, because "they might not be a learner anymore, but they're still inexperienced and I must therefore pass them at high speed at the earliest opportunity."

I would like to know where, my son was paying 2K 3 years ago at 17 and that was after plenty of shopping around.

Like I said earlier, it all depends on car and postcode where its kept, and exactly where at that postcode. If I moved out of my current CH postcode my insurance would probably be half. If I moved into an "L" postcode (despite being miles away from Liverpool) I know for a fact it would double.

My mate had a Suburau Forester LPG conversion - if he lived where I did in North Cheshire it would have cost him £540 a year to insure. But because he lived further west near Liverpool (not in, just near) it was £2000. He was in his late 30's.

Archived