Hawksley Avenue, Hillsborough. 1960's

PaymePal

At no 97 lives a gentleman who deserves recognition.A Richard Worrall 89 years old and has done the Sheffield half marathon and others for at least the last 20 years, raising money for western park hospital and other charities.He has lived there for at least 50 years.Should be the most famous resident of hawksley ave.

WELL DONE

If my memory serves me well I think the eagle which stood on the apex of the roof of Eagle House was made of stone.

I seem to remember seeing the broken eagle lying on the frontage one morning after it had been blown down off it's perch during the night.

I always looked upon that eagle as a kind of local landmark and the house lost it's identity.

I was always surprised it was never replaced.

Happy Days PopT

I confirm that some houses were bombed and so was the school which was there before woolies,theres a new book out called Sheffields date with Hitler and there are some photos of the bombed houses.

Where can I find the photo's, My granmother lived in one of the bombed houses.I was born and raised on Elm Terrace in Owlerton Green.Pearsons shop was at the there,I remember my mom sending me there with the ration book,and when they were closed we used to go to the back door to get served, those were the days.

I confirm that some houses were bombed and so was the school which was there before woolies,theres a new book out called Sheffields date with Hitler and there are some photos of the bombed houses.

Where can I find the photo's, My granmother lived in one of the bombed houses, and lived to tell the tale.I was born and raised on Elm Terrace in Owlerton Green.Pearsons shop was at the there,I remember my mom sending me there with the ration book,and when they were closed we used to go to the back door to get served, those were the days.

• 5 years later...
Howards-that was the name of the shop and i remember the ice sales hatch, i think the whole shop front was a yellow colour and i think my Mum used to rave about their lemon curd. I remember the generating station on the Bradfield Rd corner, there used to be a night watchman there with a coke brazier lit at night. I also recall the slipper baths at the Hilsborough Baths ,we would pay 3d for a bath as we only had a tin bath. I was last in with my two sisters using the water first! A woman in a white coat had a key fastened to her belt to turn the hot water on.

Was one of your sisters named Vivienne?

I worked for the Don Bakery from 1959 until it was bought out by Newboulds Sunblest around 1964,they were the happiest days of my working life!.I started at 16 yrs old as a van boy and in a couple of years they trained me up into a wholesale salesman,the whole working staff where friendly from top to bottom!.I made friends there that I still have today,I remained in the same type of job until my last 10 yrs of employment when I became a class 1 hgv driver on the frozen division at Fletchers Bakery another job I really enjoyed touring Britain at the firms expence,where have all the years gone?.