Invincible 4x4 drivers

can i just say to all 4x4 drivers, when you are driving in the snow you are not invincible, your cars are liable to skidding too. just like the landrover that drove too fast up lowedges cres saturday, couldnt stop and smashed a lamp post down. Ive just seen a landrover discovery doing 30 mph down our road. Our road is covered in snow. I know 4x4 gives you better traction, but please use your brains, slow down. Better to arrive a little late in this world than too early in the next. BBc news last night showed a landrover discovery 4x4 that had flipped over in the snow killing the driver.

Driving way too fast for the conditions maybe?

Why do some 4x4 drivers do this?

A 4x4 on normal tyres won't stop any better than a car. Now if you've got proper winter tyres on your vehicle you may stand a better chance of stopping sooner.

All 4x4 does is help you get better traction and get going - NOT STOPPING!!!

its all about how you handle them, and the driver taking control of the vehilce

sad but some do think they are invincible but we have three in the family and they are driven safe and at low speed in these conditions but are only taken out when and if needed

4x4s cope better in low speed and low box (yes a woman that knows what she's talking about)

this can be said about any drivers as a old man in a mondeo was going too fast and spun out on my road ended up the wrong way round

I think if you dont know how to drive in the snow regardless of vehilce you have you should leave the car at home

Drivers that can only be bothered to clear a 'porthole' on their windscreen do my head in.

Saw someone today with snow covering the whole bonnet and headlights.

I always make sure I clear all the windows, lights, numberplate and mirrors before I set off. I only have to do the front lights because snow doesn't stick to the back end.

Just had work colleagues moaning about the same thing, and I remember a thread on the topic during last years snow.

Driving into work early this morning I actually thought to myself that the standard of driving was pretty good, everybody was driving at the same speed and leaving plenty of room, and I hardly saw a brake light all the way down Ecclesall Road.

There was a queue of about 5 cars in the right turn lane at the roundabout when I noticed a car in my mirror travelling at speed arriving half in the middle lane, half in the left hand lane, which moved away at the same time as me. I thought to myself, "I bet the prat wants to turn right", and sure enough he did. First time I saw brake lights, two sets of, as he forced his way in.

I watched as the black Touareg, for that is what it was, proceeded at speed down the LHL of St Mary's Rd, and then noticed a whole string of brake lights popping up in the RHL as the Touareg driver indicated right to go straight on up Fornham St, rather than left up Matilda St. Prat confirmed.

Speaking for myself, but if I'd paid a lot of money for a 4x4, I would drive no differently to how I drive anyway, I would just be happier that I was marginally safer. I guess the temptation for some is that they have to show that their car is better in the snow than everybody else's. The trouble is, as the Touareg driver showed, they often make it less safer for everybody else. :(

I have a 4 x 4 but I do realise its not invincible and take as much care as if in a normal car. Infact I never had a problem driving in my old Metro and remember well driving up Rutland Road some years ago in thick snow (past the line of stuck stranded drivers) and despite the condisending "You'll never make it up there love" comment from a van driver on his way down managed it perfectly well.

The trouble is people just panic for some reason.

Archived