Paul Weller tonight - Still going ahead

sheffscott1

Managed to get to gig last night and had a 10 mile walk home in blizzard -like conditions. No hotels available or cabs. To those of you who didn't make it, dont think you missed anything because you didnt! The atmosphere was dull, Weller wasn't at his best (no classics whatsoever just new material) and people were really anxious about getting home.

Ive seen Weller alot in my time, but last night really wasn't anything to write home about. He wasnt on long either - he'd gone off by 10.20!

Are you sure you were there? True the atmosphere was not what it would have been had it not been half-full but I still enjoyed it. Was also disappointing that the gig finished earlier than advertised, 10.20 as you say.

There were MANY classics such as The Jam's When You're Young (worth the admission fee on it's own) Start, Art School and the Style Councils' Shout to the top.

Good to see Corrine Bailey Rae get such a good reception, Richard Hawley's appearance was a bit of a damp squib though, as it is his home town surely he could have had a few words for the crowd.

Got the tram back into town, was a snow ball fight between us Dee dahs vs Dingles and Toy Towners on the opposite platform at the tram stop!

Yes, she was very good. I was disappointed he didnt play some more of his old stuff. I was waiting all night for "you do something to me", "town called malice" and "changing man". My husband is a massive Weller fan and had a great night (apart from the trek home!) I wish it could have been re-scheduled tho, as i think it would have been better if it had had more of an atmosphere.

Originally Posted by Pianobiz

Managed to get to gig last night and had a 10 mile walk home in blizzard -like conditions. No hotels available or cabs. To those of you who didn't make it, dont think you missed anything because you didnt! The atmosphere was dull, Weller wasn't at his best (no classics whatsoever just new material) and people were really anxious about getting home.

Ive seen Weller alot in my time, but last night really wasn't anything to write home about. He wasnt on long either - he'd gone off by 10.20!

I partly agree with the original post Pianobiz, the atmosphere was dull, Weller wasn't at his best and did make a sarcastic mumble to the crowd when he shouted hello sheffield and didn't get any reply. A lot of new material was played (not my cup of tea, too many effects etc) the old stuff was played but the arrangments made them virtualy unrecognisable unless you knew every word, sorry apart from Start which I heard while at the toilet. I have never seen so many people leaving a concert early, I asked one couple are you worried about getting home to which they replied "No its <REMOVED>" and made a run for it. It was just a complete rush from start to end !!

The one thing that gets me is - The ARENA is too big for weller to perform in , Ive seen him a few times over the years , Octogan ,Donny dome , Buxton , Next time Mr Weller try a Crammed - sold out, : 02 or Leadmill :)

I saw him a few years back at the Notts Trent Arena......that was crammed. ;)

The one thing that gets me is - The ARENA is too big for weller to perform in , Ive seen him a few times over the years , Octogan ,Donny dome , Buxton , Next time Mr Weller try a Crammed - sold out, : 02 or Leadmill :)

Spot-on, Leadmill, City Hall or O2 Academy would be much more suitable.

FYI just received this from the Arena Gen Manager it gives a email add to contact Wellers promoters if you have tickets and could not get to Sheff tues nite!

'Dear Mr Sims,

It is always the promoter’s decision whether or not to stage the event and they decided to go ahead. Approximately 70% of audience, made the decision to travel to the Paul Weller concert despite yesterday’s developing weather conditions. In the end, it was up to individuals to decide whether or not to travel to the gig.

Since the concert, the promoter has issued a statement offering anyone who didn’t attend the Arena concert the chance to see Paul Weller at alternative dates on his tour with their unused tickets subject to availability. Fans should email enquiriesaaa@aol.com with their preference.'

Hope it helps

FYI just received this from the Arena Gen Manager it gives a email add to contact Wellers promoters if you have tickets and could not get to Sheff tues nite!

'Dear Mr Sims,

It is always the promoter’s decision whether or not to stage the event and they decided to go ahead. Approximately 70% of audience, made the decision to travel to the Paul Weller concert despite yesterday’s developing weather conditions. In the end, it was up to individuals to decide whether or not to travel to the gig.

Since the concert, the promoter has issued a statement offering anyone who didn’t attend the Arena concert the chance to see Paul Weller at alternative dates on his tour with their unused tickets subject to availability. Fans should email enquiriesaaa@aol.com with their preference.'

Hope it helps

Thanks for that kenny. Is there a website to see this statement?

Archived