£2million will left to RSPCA is overturned in favour of daughter.

danot

The judge it would now seem has conducted matters well within the law

We still don't know that, because we don't know what reasons the Appeal Court had for their decision.

We don't know if there is any actual evidence that the mother was coerced into signing it, other than the daughter saying so.

Personally speaking, the only time I would contest a will is if the benefactor was someone I had grave misgivings about, which I appreciate is very arbitrary. In such a scenario, it wouldn't be about me getting the money, but them not having it. I would rather the benefactor were a worthy cause or charity than someone who had very tenuous claims to an estate. The problem is where do you draw the line?

The answer in that case is that you don't. Your parents ("yours" in the generic sense, not just you personally) could leave all their money to Jeffrey Dahmer, or the Exterminate All Redheads Foundation, and you would have no case in law against them just because the beneficiary doesn't deserve the money; only if you can show your parents were not of sound mind when they made the will.

We still don't know that, because we don't know what reasons the Appeal Court had for their decision.

We don't know if there is any actual evidence that the mother was coerced into signing it, other than the daughter saying so.

Of course we don't know the full facts of the case but doesn't it seem strange to you that it has twice been thrown out, maybe you could give us some insight.

It is not uncommon for wills to be challenged some successful some not but the fact that some challenges succeed proves that the law accepts that there can be grounds for challenges which is something some people on here can't stomach.

The amount involved was not worth what it would have cost to take it through court.

The one lucky outcome was that some years before my mother died my aunt had talked her into signing her property over to me and my brother to protect against the social services claiming it for care although my brother did attempt to get her to try and get my share back.

So are you saying your mothers will was carried out to the letter?

The amount involved was not worth what it would have cost to take it through court.

The one lucky outcome was that some years before my mother died my aunt had talked her into signing her property over to me and my brother to protect against the social services claiming it for care although my brother did attempt to get her to try and get my share back.

I'm surprised your mothers will was deemed valid at all. Isn't that what Dr Gills father is accused of doing to his wife?. Isn't that the likely reason Dr Gill appealed against her parents decision? Isn't that the likely reason the judge overturned the will in favour of the daughter? Isn't that the reason you agree with his decision?

Originally Posted by Bassman62

I'm surprised your mothers will was deemed valid at all. Isn't that what Dr Gills father is accused of doing to his wife?. Isn't that the likely reason Dr Gill appealed against her parents decision? Isn't that why the likely reason the judge overturned the will in favour of the daughter? Isn't that the reason you agree with his decision?
You see there you go again jumping in feet first as you have done all through this thread making one unqualified assumption after another.

After the conversation with my aunt which took place several years before she died my mother went to a solicitor for advice and was told that the sooner the better the solicitor also warned her that once she signed the documents she relinquished all claim to the property, this had nothing to do with her will.

You really should read thoroughly and digest before you type.

Good on her for getting it overturned. What sort of an idiot leaves over two million to animals. Worlds` gone mad.

I agree 101% without getting into the legal issues (unlike the Perry Masons here) to me the moral issue is far more important.

Common decency won the day.

You see there you go again jumping in feet first as you have done all through this thread making one unqualified assumption after another.

After the conversation with my aunt my mother went to a solicitor for advice and was told that the sooner the better the solicitor also warned her that once she signed the documents she relinquished all claim to the property.

You really should read thoroughly and digest before you type.

Sorry Bassman, For some reason I was under the impression that your mother was influenced by your aunt into signing her property over to your brother and yourself. I'm not sure what gave me that idea.

What would have happened if your aunt hadn't spoke to your mother?

Archived