Winter Tyres, Would You, Should You?

Do you know about winter tyres and have you got them?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know about winter tyres and have you got them?

• Yes I know, and i've got a set on at the minute
    • Yes I know, and really should get some
    • Yes I know, but I don't see the point
    • No, I didn't know, but should get some
    • No, I didn't know and I still don't want any.

We recently bought a car and it is the first time I have driven a vehicle with summer tyres in winter conditions. I could not believe how poor they are in this weather. I now understand why some cars fitted with similar tyres suffer so bad in the snow.

Yesterday, we went to Charlie Browns and had a set of all season tyres fitted and the improvement in grip was enormous. We did shy away from the full winter tyres due to the poorer performance in the wet (more of an issue in this country) and also the faster degradation in summer.

I did read an article in auto express (October issue) which reviewed and compared summer, all season and winter tyres. To sum up the review; the winter tyres are a no brainer with all seasons being 50-70% less effective, and summer tyres 80% less effective than winter tyres.

However, Winter tyres performed 20% less in the wet than the all seasons and in some cases even the summer tyres were not far from giving similar grip

One thing I did take from the article was that the Goodyears and Continentals were the top performers. Wish I had read that before I bought the Uniroyals :)

Yes we have winter tyres fitted. As someone else said they are for cold weather not just for snow, so are useful throughout winter. They do work! We have had no trouble with them on where other comparable vehicles have been struggling. They really help you get momentum and help you to stop safely too. Just the other day some people were having trouble on a steep hill nearby and we just reversed up the hill out of the way of them effortlessly where they were all slipping about.

They are very well worth the investment. But then I've never been one to skimp on tyres, they are almost the most important part of your car. They're what keep you on the road and enable you to stop after all - and so should always be suitable for purpose and looked after very carefully.

We recently bought a car and it is the first time I have driven a vehicle with summer tyres in winter conditions. I could not believe how poor they are in this weather. I now understand why some cars fitted with similar tyres suffer so bad in the snow.

Yesterday, we went to Charlie Browns and had a set of all season tyres fitted and the improvement in grip was enormous. We did shy away from the full winter tyres due to the poorer performance in the wet (more of an issue in this country) and also the faster degradation in summer.

I did read an article in auto express (October issue) which reviewed and compared summer, all season and winter tyres. To sum up the review; the winter tyres are a no brainer with all seasons being 50-70% less effective, and summer tyres 80% less effective than winter tyres.

However, Winter tyres performed 20% less in the wet than the all seasons and in some cases even the summer tyres were not far from giving similar grip

One thing I did take from the article was that the Goodyears and Continentals were the top performers. Wish I had read that before I bought the Uniroyals :)

Its easy to see the advantage of all season tyres over summer tyres, when they are being tested in winter weather. However, I wonder what would happen if they were tested in summer conditions. If they grossly underperform the summer tyres in summer conditions, then they may not be such a good compromise. If this is the case, then separate winter and summer sets may be a better bet.

Do you know about them and the benefits? Have you got them or would you get them?

Or do you just think they're not necessary?

Had 2 fitted Friday at Grahams Tyres and they are spot on , they have got me every place iv needed to go . They said at the shop to return to them when the winter is finished and either swop the tyres to the back to save on wear or put my old ones back on.

Archived