Time to start docking teachers pay, when they don't turn in for work?

As I said before it's not necessarily determined by whether the teachers get in, but the health and safety issues for the children. Where I teach school was cancelled for children yesterday but all staff were there all day.

Not necessarily determined I'll grant you, but here's what was published far too late for us to see:

8.25 am SCHOOL CLOSED. Staff are unable to get into school due to bad weather.

also as I said, the school coaches managed it.

The weather never has been an accurately predictable phenomenon, but this morning was fine. Perhaps as the snow conditions worsened, had all the teachers managed it, they could have closed school at a later time (perhaps lunchtime), or at the very least, published the intention to close with enough time to act on it.

pcspb1, at one time, in a sensible world, the school caretaker would have a gander outside and a walk to the bus stops, etc, and see if it was prudent to close the school or not. Nowadays, it seems like their judgement and word is not good enough anymore, and the decision has to be taken by someone who probably is nowhere near the school, or who doesn't start working until 8:25am! Quite ludicrous really, when the perils of getting there for many students and staff, have been faced, and they are turned back! It just adds to the chaos and inconvenience for all concerned.

Chaos and inconvenience indeed, the school coaches full of kids were turned away, and the kids sent back home! - that is real chaos and inconvenience!

Personally I didn't mind so much, and it was a trip out in the winter wonderland for the kids, but then when I think of all those kids sent home on the coaches, and their mums and dads on their way to work perhaps, that's what beggars my belief.

I just believe the school screwed up in advertising the closure too late.

If we're looking for equity regarding teachers pay and conditions and those of so called "normal" workers, then can we start with paid overtime? Yes I am at home today despite wanting and needing to be at school teaching, however if you propose my pay is docked for this then I propose we are paid for the hours of unpaid overtime we do every evening and weekend? Would you work 12 hours and get paid for 6?

It's not just teachers who do that...

Chaos and inconvenience indeed, the school coaches full of kids were turned away, and the kids sent back home! - that is real chaos and inconvenience!

Personally I didn't mind so much, and it was a trip out in the winter wonderland for the kids, but then when I think of all those kids sent home on the coaches, and their mums and dads on their way to work perhaps, that's what beggars my belief.

Yes, that is EXACTLY what I was saying. :huh: and I was trying to explain why I believe this happens too often now.

Also where I work the school buses were cancelled by the council, I take it these weren't council buses?

It's not just teachers who do that...

Never suggested it was, however few realise the number of hours teachers put in each week, 60- 70 easily on a normal week. When they start moaning about docking our pay for our inability, not unwillingness, to get into work thats fine if we had a level playing field elsewhere.

Question?

I made it into work yesterday, despite a hellish 1 1/2 journey in dangerous conditions only to be greeted at the entrance to our school by one of our Y10 GCSE students in jeans walking his dog. Clearly no intention of coming into school despite living in the vicinty. Add to this around half the school absent. Should we charge the parents for failing to get their kids to school?

If we're looking for equity regarding teachers pay and conditions and those of so called "normal" workers, then can we start with paid overtime? Yes I am at home today despite wanting and needing to be at school teaching, however if you propose my pay is docked for this then I propose we are paid for the hours of unpaid overtime we do every evening and weekend? Would you work 12 hours and get paid for 6?

I'm dont believe the line that teachers have it easy or dont work on their days off or extra hours, however most workers do many hours of unpaid work, I can speak from experience of the private sector, and guess the same would apply in the public one.

I don't envy a teachers job, I could tolerate the children but not the parents .

Archived