Tinnitus .. anyone else have it?

Ok ... I know there's a thread about this from earlier on in the year. Thought I'd start another in case people didn't realise this and were having problems.

My tinnitus is pretty bad and sounds like the after effect of someone popping a paper bag right next to your ear ...24/7 for five years. It's so loud that although I've very good hearing, I can't for instance hear the telly properly.

I can go on a loveley walk with my OH to the remotest part of Derbyshire and we'll stand there and she'll say 'it's so beautiful and quiet isn't it?'

All I can say is 'I don't know'

I know I'm not the only one who suffers from this and would be interested to hear from anyone with the same problem :)

I have had it for almost 20yrs.I went in hospital for an operation on my ear, the operation was a success but left me with tinnitus.There are grommets you can have inserted that i believe reduce the noise, i just learnt to live with it although it can be frustrating at times.

Yup, I've had it for 10 years now, as a result of going on some medication. Unfortunately even though I stopped taking the medication 8 years ago, the tinnitus remained.

Mine is a high pitched whistle, kind of like a higher version of the 'beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep' that used to be transmitted when TV channels weren't broadcasting at night, and it's far worse in my left ear than in my right.

I've also got a chronic issue with inflammation in my left ear which it doesn't appear that the medication has done anything to help, and that means that I don't hear really loud noises through my left ear, just a series of clicks, but anything that is loud enough to cause the effect also makes my tinnitus hugely worse for weeks afterwards, so I armed myself with a few pairs of noise reduction ear plugs and feel like a total idiot wearing ear plugs at gigs.

These days I'm good at avoiding paying attention to my tinnitus, which is basically the best treatment and which all of the white noise theory works on, but it does get me down on occasions.

Mine is a high pitched whistle, kind of like a higher version of the 'beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep' that used to be transmitted when TV channels weren't broadcasting at night, and it's far worse in my left ear than in my right.

Mine's the same high pitched Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!, it's really loud now compared to five years ago:mad:

John..

Medusa-where can you buy these ear plugs?

The best kind are made to measure for your ear canals and have a hole through the middle so that you can hear a full range of sounds and spoken voices even though the loud bass is muffled- but they're about £300 a pair. You can get them from virtually any hearing aid place and everybody I know whose work involves being at a gig every day has them to save their hearing.

I couldn't afford that so I bought a few selection packs of foam ear plugs off eBay to try out lots of different brands and styles of ear plug to see which suited me better and found out that although I'm ridiculously tall and built like a brick outhouse, I've got very slim and petite girly little ear canals and need ear plugs intended for women and children if they're going to be comfortable.

So, I've got a little box in my handbag with some pairs of Howard Leight Laser Lite ear plugs in it in case of encountering sustained loud noises. They take 35dB off the sound that you're hearing and although they do muffle the sound a little, it's a darn sight better than either not being able to go to cinemas, gigs or other noisy places, or going to those places and struggling for weeks afterwards.

There are loads of brands available and many of them come in at under 50p a pair if you buy them in bulk for routine use :)

The best kind are made to measure for your ear canals and have a hole through the middle so that you can hear a full range of sounds and spoken voices even though the loud bass is muffled- but they're about £300 a pair. You can get them from virtually any hearing aid place and everybody I know whose work involves being at a gig every day has them to save their hearing.

I couldn't afford that so I bought a few selection packs of foam ear plugs off eBay to try out lots of different brands and styles of ear plug to see which suited me better and found out that although I'm ridiculously tall and built like a brick outhouse, I've got very slim and petite girly little ear canals and need ear plugs intended for women and children if they're going to be comfortable.

So, I've got a little box in my handbag with some pairs of Howard Leight Laser Lite ear plugs in it in case of encountering sustained loud noises. They take 35dB off the sound that you're hearing and although they do muffle the sound a little, it's a darn sight better than either not being able to go to cinemas, gigs or other noisy places, or going to those places and struggling for weeks afterwards.

There are loads of brands available and many of them come in at under 50p a pair if you buy them in bulk for routine use :)

Medusa ... sorry but if you have tinnitus earplugs are no use. The sound is generated in your head. Earplugs are fine if you're being subjected to loud noise but wearing them cuts out outside noise and just emphasises the noise in your head?

The only way I can get relief from my tinnitus is to introduce noise into my ears ... ipod works well. Problem is this just disguises the symptoms.

I'm wondering if anyone's looked into cochlear implants or anything more radical ... does it work? My doc was unable to help me with this ... I spent 3 grand on some hearing aids which work a bit but it's still only disguising the problem.

It would be great to go somewhere really quiet and only hear silence! :(

Archived