Tinnitus .. anyone else have it?

Medusa ... sorry but if you have tinnitus earplugs are no use. The sound is generated in your head. Earplugs are fine if you're being subjected to loud noise but wearing them cuts out outside noise and just emphasises the noise in your head?

The only way I can get relief from my tinnitus is to introduce noise into my ears ... ipod works well. Problem is this just disguises the symptoms.

I'm wondering if anyone's looked into cochlear implants or anything more radical ... does it work? My doc was unable to help me with this ... I spent 3 grand on some hearing aids which work a bit but it's still only disguising the problem.

It would be great to go somewhere really quiet and only hear silence! :(

I know that the noise is in my head and I'm not advocating the earplugs as a treatment for tinnitus, just to reduce the damage done by loud noises, which make my tinnitus worse for weeks after exposure.

I only wear the earplugs whilst actually in the loud noise and the earplugs don't stop me from hearing the noises, just reduce the absolute volume of the noise that I take in and by that they reduce the worsening of my tinnitus caused by the noise.

The RNID 'Solutions' Magazine sells Tinnitus Relaxers which some people find helpful

The Main RNID orgnaisation also has a information line tel: 0808 808 0123 (or textphone 0808 898 900) ..........they deal with all forms of hearing impairment, including that caused tinnitus, so are well placed to give advice/guidance how to deal with the distressing condition.

Hi,

Yes I have had it for 10 years. Went to one too many techno raves at the arches, one night, it was SO LOUD we all put our hands over our ears and ran off the dance floor but it was too late for me and the damage was done.

I've had a high pitched squeal ever since - much like the electrical whine your tv might make.

I've always had very sensitive hearing, not so much anymore.

To preserve whats left I too wear ear plugs when out at gigs and things.

To get to sleep at night - which is when it annoys me the most, although i can hear it all the time unless listening to music or something - i listen to internet podcasts. Mostly the excellent Astronomycast, I find it a nice balance between interesting and dull, as if the radioshow/podcast is too interesting, I stay up listening to it. So i like to think i've swapped some hearing, for a more in-depth knowledge of astronomy.

protect your ears kids, once you damage them, its too late

One year ago we suffered a severe rear end shunt in our car the force of which dislodged the centre radio consul and an air vent.

My Wife was thrown back so hard that we found her glasses on the back seat of the car.

I was thrown back into the headrest and the pain was as if I'd been hit with cricket bat not the headrest. The noise of the impact was extremely loud.

Since the accident I've suffered high pitched tinnitus and hearing loss, I can no longer hear the alarm on my £150 wristwatch.

I can't claim for loss of hearing as I didn't have a test before the accident but I can for the Tinnitus as it is roughly the same frquency as the alarm on my watch that I can no longer hear and my solicitor agrees that i would not by an alarm watch that I couldn't hear.

If I wake in the night the Tinnitus seems deafening in th quiet bedroom and can be very stressful at times.

One year ago we suffered a severe rear end shunt in our car the force of which dislodged the centre radio consul and an air vent.

My Wife was thrown back so hard that we found her glasses on the back seat of the car.

I was thrown back into the headrest and the pain was as if I'd been hit with cricket bat not the headrest. The noise of the impact was extremely loud.

Since the accident I've suffered high pitched tinnitus and hearing loss, I can no longer hear the alarm on my £150 wristwatch.

I can't claim for loss of hearing as I didn't have a test before the accident but I can for the Tinnitus as it is roughly the same frquency as the alarm on my watch that I can no longer hear and my solicitor agrees that i would not by an alarm watch that I couldn't hear.

If I wake in the night the Tinnitus seems deafening in th quiet bedroom and can be very stressful at times.

I suppose it's good that you may be able to claim compensation for you accident. The thing is, however much money you have, you'll never be able to have your hearing restored. I honestly would give my right arm (being left handed) to loose my tinnitus ... an arm can be replaced with really fancy stuff nowadays ... unfortunately my hearing can't! I know exactly what you mean about the tinnitus being deafening, it really gets me down too!

I suppose it's good that you may be able to claim compensation for you accident. The thing is, however much money you have, you'll never be able to have your hearing restored. I honestly would give my right arm (being left handed) to loose my tinnitus ... an arm can be replaced with really fancy stuff nowadays ... unfortunately my hearing can't! I know exactly what you mean about the tinnitus being deafening, it really gets me down too!
Yes I'm in for compensation but there are several issues along with the Tinnitus, I've already had surgery on my shoulder for damage the seat belt caused, I have the pain to my lower back and numbness in my feet, some loss of hearing and ongoing problems due to the whiplash to my neck, so compensation is some way off yet.

I can take tablets to reduce the pain but the Tinnitus is there 24/7

I had an ear infection a couple of years ago..it wouldn't shift...and eventually when it was gone I noticed this noise too....sort of a high pitched whistle....and when its quiet (like now) it does my head in. :(

Therefore I usually have noise going on around me (as a diversionary tactic) at all times....including when I sleep when I have the radio on.

Archived