Who is worse. Tax or benefit thieves?

Whi is worse  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Whi is worse

• Benefit thieves
    • Tax thieves

Benefit fraud is more damaging as it effects an entire community.

As does tax evasion.

Neither is right, but it is widely estimated that evasion costs us far more than benefit cheats do. What I find most disconcerting though is the way in which they are punished. You can be locked up for stealing £50 in benefits, yet large amounts of tax are simply written off as unrecoverable, with a slap on the wrist.

Equally bad

Agreed!

Being on benefits (IB) and not being a 'thief', I quite liked chem1st's post...

IF supermarkets really did sell alcohol below cost price (where the cost includes DUTY), the you would have some people on benefits being net contributors to the state. :cool:

Every penny I get from the state, I spend back in the community. There's no room for savings, pensions, foreign holidays, etc... or booze for that matter... It comes in and goes out just as fast, from the tax payer and straight back too.

I'm no better off, just treading water! With plenty of gob-full's of salt water to boot...

On a whole the benefit cheats annoy me more because they give me a bad reputation!

I still think it would be a much easier system to pay everyone base rate benefit but then claw it back from people working.

It might not work for people doing cash-in-hand work but it would make doing a few weeks work while on benefit a lot easier. Its a royal PITA to do temporary work when you have to sign off and sign on again with the related delays.

As said above, the amount lost from tax fraud is far more serious. I wouldn't be surprised if they waste as much trying to catch benefit frauds as those frauds are actually taking from the system. It would actually save money to write THOSE off as a lost cause and concentrate on the big money tax frauds instead.

Benefit fraud is more damaging as it effects an entire community.

but in a lot of cases its commited by people with barely anything, whereas with tax evasion etc its normally by people with hell of a lot

which i find far more unpalatable.

Archived