Fish chitterlings??

Emma1234

First came about with the slaves in the U.S after the pig was killed the slaves got the innards it took a while before anyone clued to why they eat them with a smile.I still think with there delicate flavor one of the best parts of a pig ,I use to love them

Fish chitterlings are male cod roe, female cod rod is much firmer and a full female roe resembles the shape of a pair of trousers, hence a full roe is often called a pair of breeches in Norfolk. Both male and female cod roe can be bought fresh when in season or in tins - John West do both.

an ex fisherman

Castle Market was the place to get those, they handed them to you on little white cracked dishes, never washed them out for the next person though :hihi: just kept on filling them up .
They still do in Donny market but I'm sute they wash the dishes these days,wer'nt they 3d a plate poppins.:hihi:

Fish roe came in all shape's & size soft hard cod herring & many more being of the elite mine came from Sturgeon,however brought up in Sheffield never heard of them called Chitterlins at least in the 40s that name was reserved for the pig

Archived