Should we pay extra tax to fund additional snow protection?

I don't think we necessarily need to spend a lot more money to deal with snow. If there was some strategy it might help. I heard from a Canadian guy that over there they don't get through nearly so much grit because nobody puts it down without clearing the snowe first, and all able bodided people are responsible for keeeping the road outside there own houses clear. If money could be saved keeping cities and towns functioning, there would be more left over for snow ploughs to keep A roads and motorways open.

Personnally I think the enforced three or four days of work now and again helps make up for the low number of bank holidays we have in this country. The snow helps weld families together so a lot of kids benifit from having both parents together and elderly relatives benifit from family contacting them to see if they are ok. Why is it people always concentrate on the negative?

I have to whole heartedly agree with that, so long as we are talking about days and not weeks.

I don't think we necessarily need to spend a lot more money to deal with snow. If there was some strategy it might help. I heard from a Canadian guy that over there they don't get through nearly so much grit because nobody puts it down without clearing the snowe first, and all able bodided people are responsible for keeeping the road outside there own houses clear.

Another idea would be to organise local volunteer squads to clear snow in the local area. If money could be saved keeping cities and towns functioning, there would be more left over for snow ploughs to keep A roads and motorways open.

I think a bit of mutal back patting is in order. I have gritted our road from top to bottom on numourous occassions whilst all the younger generations sit staring at me through their windows.

At the moment i think provisions are adequate and short distruptions in services are acceptable.

Other countries that suffer worse than us do so on a regular basis and for longer periods, and they have the equipment to ease the situation.

I do not think that this country (at the moment) needs to spend extra millions of pounds to cope.

The people who are moaning about the inconvenience will probably be the first to moan about the council spending X million pounds on equipment to be used for a week every 10 years.

Of course, due to climate change, this may have to reviewed in the future, but at the moment i think the balance is about right.

Archived