Lifts off strangers what do you think?

I went to Marrens at 9 am Today and bought loads of shopping ..(too much to carry to the Bus Stop ) .I phoned a Taxi Firm and they'd got nothing available for over 3 hours .I was asked by an elderly couple ( who were putting their trolley back next to me ) how i was going to Carry 'All that Shopping' ..i explained about the Taxi delays , and they offered me a lift ,then helped me get my shopping into their Car , and dropped me off outside our house ..I offered them some Petrol money and neither would accept it .......Restores your faith in Human Nature eh ! ..:)

What a sad frightened society, if you can call it that. Let's face it the vast majority of people are normal and the vast majority of people offering lifts will be too. Simple as that.

While it is unwise for a woman alone at night to take a lift off a single man I think a more relaxed attitude is required in daylight hours, particularly in the current conditions.

Unfortunately, one of the consequences of living in a society where a premium is placed upon manners and politeness,is bad people taking advantage.

How many people young and old, male and female have felt a little bit guilty at turning away door to door sales people? It feels very rude because we're are raised not be ignorant of people.

However, over time, people have learnt that cold calling is actually an infringement of your privacy and you are perfectly entitled to say no or even ignore, you can even get stickers off the police, that's how accepted refusal is!

In the same way women should not be made to feel guilty, rude,stupid,silly, paranoid etc etc, if they make an assessment about their own personal safety and politely refuse any offer from anyone if they don't feel comfortable.

I'll say again we also still live in a society where if a single woman was to accept a lift from a stranger and then got raped, the majority would blame her!

Unfortunately, one of the consequences of living in a society where a premium is placed upon manners and politeness,is bad people taking advantage.

How many people young and old, male and female have felt a little bit guilty at turning away door to door sales people? It feels very rude because we're are raised not be ignorant of people.

However, over time, people have learnt that cold calling is actually an infringement of your privacy and you are perfectly entitled to say no or even ignore, you can even get stickers off the police, that's how accepted refusal is!

In the same way women should not be made to feel guilty, rude,stupid,silly, paranoid etc etc, if they make an assessment about their own personal safety and politely refuse any offer from anyone if they don't feel comfortable.

I'll say again we also still live in a society where if a single woman was to accept a lift from a stranger and then got raped, the majority would blame her!

Unfortunately you are right. I often think about offering people a lift, but wouldn't do it as a female on my own. It's a shame, as I like to help out, but you have to be careful, there are too many nutters out there.

In that case you'd be safer not taking the lift and spending extra time walking home therefore reducing the time spent in the kitchen. I think. :huh:

Perhaps all drivers should have compulsory CRB checks then no-one would have to worry. :roll:

But they'd have to have a new CRB check every time they offered someone new a lift. :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Wouldn't the passengers need CRB checks too? :huh:

Archived