Why are you, you?

TBH though, I am one of those who will hold a door open for you, but if you don't acknowledge it i'll probably give a snide comment.

So when you hold that door open, you are looking for acknowledgement of your good deed, and if you dont get it then you have a negative thought about it.

So, isnt that doing something for yourself really?

So when you hold that door open, you are looking for acknowledgement of your good deed, and if you dont get it then you have a negative thought about it.

So, isnt that doing something for yourself really?

No, that's just a manners thing to me. Just a look in the eye will do, a smile will make my day.

There's times I think i'll give up on manners since so many don't bother any more, but then what's it all come to?

Have a nice day!

According to Henry George, "Man seeks to satisfy his desires by the minimum exertion". He also claims that these desires are unlimited.

Just as an addition to the selfless posts earlier (i'm in a rush...), I wanted to find some more recent examples, but this was the first and welled me up, so...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1256391/Tributes-paid-selfless-bravery-World-War-II-heroine-Andree-Peel-died-aged-105.html

I agree that people do the most amazing things( and where would we be if they did not), but next time that you decide to do something for someone else, just stop and think before you do it,why are you actually doing it.

I do this a lot. being a parent of a 20 year old and a nearly 15 year old, I have had to sacrifice a lot over the years, like most parents do.

It didnt come natural to me in the beginning though. I had to work hard at it. After 20 years, I know that I am not perfect and have made many mistakes, but I know what I know due to having the experience.

Why did I do it?

Because I want to be a good parent and I want my offspring to have a good start in life and achieve their full potential, but why do I want that?

Well if I analysed it, maybe if they didnt, I would blame myself and feel that I am a bad parent. I have done that so many times anyway.

So does me wanting to be a good parent mean that I want that for my children, or does it mean that I want it for my own needs?

depends what you belive in .when we think we merely project past experiences of our physical bodies into the future.(its a rare individual that as an original thought)..some mystics belive mind can without reference to the past posses the physical body through its soul.

yes a belief in self. when you really understand self , theres a changing of consciousness.

Please explain more...

I agree that people do the most amazing things( and where would we be if they did not), but next time that you decide to do something for someone else, just stop and think before you do it,why are you actually doing it.

I do this a lot. being a parent of a 20 year old and a nearly 15 year old, I have had to sacrifice a lot over the years, like most parents do.

It didnt come natural to me in the beginning though. I had to work hard at it. After 20 years, I know that I am not perfect and have made many mistakes, but I know what I know due to having the experience.

Why did I do it?

Because I want to be a good parent and I want my offspring to have a good start in life and achieve their full potential, but why do I want that?

Well if I analysed it, maybe if they didnt, I would blame myself and feel that I am a bad parent. I have done that so many times anyway.

So does me wanting to be a good parent mean that I want that for my children, or does it mean that I want it for my own needs?

OK, so last week I saw a toddler (between 1 and 2), she was given some sweets, she ran across the room and shared them with the other kids. Do you believe she had ulterior motives in mind?

What I can't grasp is that if all our brains are equally capable of producing consciousness, then what is it that made my brain give birth to my subjective awareness within that consciousness?

Random chance. We are a product of our environment. Different events would have created a different person...

Random chance. We are a product of our environment. Different events would have created a different person...

Even more, if under precise conditions, even if two subjects were subjected to exactly the same events, just the physical make up of their human bodies would interpret and store the data differently.

We're like snowflakes.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/20735

Archived