Why are you, you?

Yeah no further than A-level though, I got annoyed by most of it, they think they know far more than they do, and many seem far too quick to generalise from their results . Most of it isn't really science in my opinion. I need data to be convinced not some single case study anecdote. The only reason I took it to A2 was that I liked the girl I sat next to.

I am very interested.I did it just at GCSE and was going to do A level but the tutor said that it was very scientific at A level and as I dont have a scientific brain, I thought I wouldnt be able to do it.

I think that life experience teaches us a lot about ourselves and others.

I am very interested.I did it just at GCSE and was going to do A level but the tutor said that it was very scientific at A level

That is not true at all in my experience.

You have to do a small bit of maths at A-level but not any science.

Psychology is barely scientific at all when you're talking about published professionals let alone pre-graduate education.

That is not true at all in my experience.

You have to do a small bit of maths at A-level but not any science.

Psychology is barely scientific at all when you're talking about published professionals let alone pre-graduate education.

Maybe I could give it a go then.

I find this very difficult to explain but I often wonder why am I me? Why am I, as opposed to someone else, experiencing subjective awareness in this body? Why am I even experiencing the awareness within this mind and body at all? Sure, I still may be here regardless, but why am I the consciousness inside my brain and not somebody else's consciousness?

:confused:

This is not as daft as it sounds. I often wonder the same thing myself.

Me too. Some say that it's the soul and that the body is just a vessel. The soul can leave the body and never really dies.

Well, it seems kind of obvious to me.

Well I'd be interested to know of any scientist who claims that we fully understand the role of consciousness beyond its physiological attributes.

I think what is obvious to you is only on the surface of what we're talking about here. Correct me if I'm wrong but you're talking about the basic physical function of the brain, not its function as a mental projection which is more a philosophical (not mystical!) exploration.

Are you saying that if you wanted to change you you couldn't change you?

Who do you mean by "you"? I can't change the fact that I am aware and in this body right now. That is me. But sure, I can change all the things associated with my ego, all the associations I build etc.

I think what is obvious to you is only on the surface of what we're talking about here. Correct me if I'm wrong but you're talking about the basic physical function of the brain, not its function as a mental projection which is more a philosophical (not mystical!) exploration.

Sorry bro but you're wrong, that's not what I'm talking about. You are making a distinction that I am not. It's 'function as a mental projection' (alarm's going off again bro!) is one of its basic physical functions. If you don't believe me try hitting yourself over and over again in the head and see if you can still 'project mentally' or whatever it is you're talking about here (See, this is why I suggested you define your terms better, you're the one leading this discussion, it would do good to be more precise with language).

Archived