Why are you, you?

I would say the traits that I have inherited, my life experiences, and the people that have influenced the way in which I treat others and live my life, are collectively, the reasons why I am who I am.

Although, would I have still been the person I am today if twenty five years ago I made the conscious decision to never read another a book or newspaper or watch a television?

I feel I've been heavily influenced by television and the books I've read, maybe to a greater extent than I realise. Therefore, If I was to disregard everything that I have ever been told by the media, everything that I have ever read in a book and disregard everything that Iv'e seen on tv over that last twenty five years... would I still be me?... I don't believe I would.

first theres no reason to be a smart arse I was'nt with you .I asked you to define your concept of self .you said it was irrelevent to your self?I found that a bit strange.... as in relation to the op .

IN relation to hypnosis (I never called it possession only an idiot would say that)I belive as I told you on another thread ..on hypnosis, it is a very good thing and I used it to stop smoking years ago (self hypnosis that is) if you read your own threads you'll find its you who said do you think its possible Take over over the minds of dead people :loopy:so I told you its" hollywood fiction "for neurotics like you .so don't be an idiot and twist it round and say its me who belives it, how you arrive at me beliveing in voodoo I don't know:huh:I explained to you how it works read the post!! If your are a manic depressive as you state, are you taking your medication?.well if you are its not working :)maybe try rum and opium :hihi:on second thoughts I don't think you could handle it .and If you've been reading castaneda it explains a lot:loopy:

I'm glad i've quoted you throughout this thread, go back and re-read your whimsical comments...

e.g.

depends what you belive in .when we think we merely project past experiences of our physical bodies into the future.(its a rare individual that as an original thought)..some mystics belive mind can without reference to the past posses the physical body through its soul.

Love the way you deal with issues...

To quote you "can you expand more "....

What do you think "original thought" is

For you John, no...

first theres no reason to be a smart arse I was'nt with you .I asked you to define your concept of self .you said it was irrelevent to your self?I found that a bit strange.... as in relation to the op .

IN relation to hypnosis (I never called it possession only an idiot would say that)I belive as I told you on another thread ..on hypnosis, it is a very good thing and I used it to stop smoking years ago (self hypnosis that is) if you read your own threads you'll find its you who said do you think its possible Take over over the minds of dead people :loopy:so I told you its" hollywood fiction "for neurotics like you .so don't be an idiot and twist it round and say its me who belives it, how you arrive at me beliveing in voodoo I don't know:huh:I explained to you how it works read the post!! If your are a manic depressive as you state, are you taking your medication?.well if you are its not working :)maybe try rum and opium :hihi:on second thoughts I don't think you could handle it .and If you've been reading castaneda it explains a lot:loopy:

Would you like me to make a statement as bad or worse than this about you. Making conclusions and being derogatory?

Maybe you should lay off the mind altering substances!

For you John, no...

Would you like me to make a statement as bad or worse than this about you. Making conclusions and being derogatory?

Maybe you should lay off the mind altering substances!

you already have by miss quoteing me. as for mind altering substances I think you should change your medication

you already have by miss quoteing me. as for mind altering substances I think you should change your medication

Where have I changed any of your quotes?

John, you don't even know if I take medication or use alternative methods. As to you thinking I should or should not do something, is of no consequence to me, as you'd probably understand if you understood my answer to the question about my views of my self awareness.

Where have I changed any of your quotes?

John, you don't even know if I take medication or use alternative methods. As to you thinking I should or should not do something, is of no consequence to me, as you'd probably understand if you understood my answer to the question about my views of my self awareness.

have you been taking the same tablets boyfriday takes?:suspect:

In some other ways I think the self is an illusion too. Like you never cross the same river twice, your self is changing from instant to instant. Like persistence of vision, a persistent sense of self is essential, but you're not the same person you were ten years ago, or the same person (in terms of your self) as you were yesterday or even a few nanoseconds ago. That self is gone, and the self you have now is it.

Archived