Why are you, you?

In some other ways I think the self is an illusion too. Like you never cross the same river twice, your self is changing from instant to instant. Like persistence of vision, a persistent sense of self is essential, but you're not the same person you were ten years ago, or the same person (in terms of your self) as you were yesterday or even a few nanoseconds ago. That self is gone, and the self you have now is it.

is'nt that personality?

Ok.

I give up.

I am me because of who my parents were.

Because of the era in which I was born.

Because of the situation(upbringing) that I was brought up in.

Because of my genetic make up.

Because of my personality traits.

Because of my experiences.

Because of my beliefs

But most of all, because of using CBT and changing the way that I think about situations. glass half empty/half full as an eg.which has altered the way I live my life completely.

Good thread..i wonder the same thing..

but im studying about this at the moment.. about life events & expeinces what makes a person..i aint spirutual..but i find my horoiscopes are sumtimes true..& theres loadsa people who are the same starsign as me.. i wonder how many people..are very alike wihout knowing eachother..

Good thread..i wonder the same thing..

but im studying about this at the moment.. about life events & expeinces what makes a person..i aint spirutual..but i find my horoiscopes are sumtimes true..& theres loadsa people who are the same starsign as me.. i wonder how many people..are very alike wihout knowing eachother..

interesting point this. i'm aquarian(sp) and i've always found my star sign, for the most part, to be weirdly true. i don't necessarily believe but it is uncanny.

Why don't you go back to one of the flaming threads for trolls?

i suppose this means i'm a troll and all among you are most civilised, spooky? anyway back to the topic, such as it is, can you can you answer this? please keep in mind that i'm not trying to prove a point. if i ask a lot of questions its because i want whatever position i hold to be thoroughly dismantled so i can know i was wrong or so i can carry on to find other answers. the answer this i refered to earlier was "this might be a slightly side issue, but i think it ties with what you have said: a 16 year old in some third world country for example who has had to go days with no food sometimes, war etc on the one hand

and a 16 year old here in the uk who has, say, anorexia on the other. there are only enough resources( doctors etc) to help one. which one would you help?"

In my attempt to bring this thread back on track, I wanted to share with you some quotes that I have found.They might have some meaning to you , and offer a different way of looking at why you are you.

http://www.manifestyourpotential.com/self_discovery/0_start_journey_self_discovery/being_unique/quotes_about_being_unique_inspirational.htm

My favourite is the 2nd one by Henry David Thoreau

my favourite in this general ganre has always been the cliched one the Marianne Williamson 'our deepest fear' one. i like the one you chose though as well.

i suppose this means i'm a troll and all among you are most civilised, spooky? anyway back to the topic, such as it is, can you can you answer this? please keep in mind that i'm not trying to prove a point. if i ask a lot of questions its because i want whatever position i hold to be thoroughly dismantled so i can know i was wrong or so i can carry on to find other answers. the answer this i refered to earlier was "this might be a slightly side issue, but i think it ties with what you have said: a 16 year old in some third world country for example who has had to go days with no food sometimes, war etc on the one hand

and a 16 year old here in the uk who has, say, anorexia on the other. there are only enough resources( doctors etc) to help one. which one would you help?"

The one which I could actually do something to help. I'd do my best to keep emotions and personal feelings out of it and consider the situation logically.

At the moment I give to numerous charities, so in reality I help both.

But i'm of the train of thought that instead of feeding a man for a day, teach him how to fish!

Archived