Why are you, you?

a 16 year old in some third world country for example who has had to go days with no food sometimes, war etc on the one hand

and a 16 year old here in the uk who has, say, anorexia on the other. there are only enough resources( doctors etc) to help one. which one would you help?"

Which one would you help and why?

calm down children. none among us takes anything of any real value for this. no need to get so excited.

You have lost me completely with this post, would you explain please.

I have found the thread to be fascinating and some very intelligent views have been expressed.

You have lost me completely with this post, would you explain please.

I have found the thread to be fascinating and some very intelligent views have been expressed.

I agree, especially since Kaimani claims to be doing a BA in creative writing and has already studied for some time as a medical student. I see no writing skills or reasoned insights to a constructive debate, rather just biased opinions leading into other subjects.

As part of our seld awareness a good point I read recently is why do we all experience an arbiter in our head

E.G. if i see someone in the street being attacked, then 2 possible responses may emerge

1. run away out of self preservation (protect my own gene pool in darwinean terms)

2. Intervene and help the person being attacked (helping the community out of herd instinct in the darwinean terms whcih may ultimately help my gene pool)

However we often have voice in our head intervening and telling us to do one of the other and it often praises us or convicts us depending on which one we do.

It also often sides with the weaker of the 2 options, in this case the strongest desire may be to run away but the arbiter may tell me i should intervene)

Why?

As part of our seld awareness a good point I read recently is why do we all experience an arbiter in our head

E.G. if i see someone in the street being attacked, then 2 possible responses may emerge

1. run away out of self preservation (protect my own gene pool in darwinean terms)

2. Intervene and help the person being attacked (helping the community out of herd instinct in the darwinean terms whcih may ultimately help my gene pool)

However we often have voice in our head intervening and telling us to do one of the other and it often praises us or convicts us depending on which one we do.

It also often sides with the weaker of the 2 options, in this case the strongest desire may be to run away but the arbiter may tell me i should intervene)

Why?

1 is your 'id', i.e. sense.

2 is your 'ego', i.e. belief in self.

Why?

One may intervene because of a greater fear. Loss of respect from ones peers.

ok but what is making the decision to act against the strongest impulse that has the strongest darwinean reason? i.e run away

Also Why act against self interest and where does the impulse come from?

And why do we all consider courage good when it acts against our darwinean urges to preserve our own genes whcih must be the ultiate good for us?

ok but what is making the decision to act against the strongest impulse that has the strongest darwinean reason? i.e run away

Say for each case 1 & 2 (sense and ego), a path is taken trough the brain firing memories, as their found the result is added, after each route has finished, then the two are compared, the dominant signal is acted upon.

P.S. That is an unbelievable simplification which doesn't take loads into account.

Also Why act against self interest and where does the impulse come from?

From knowing you can (e.g. training) or stupidity (big ego).

And why do we all consider courage good when it acts against our darwinean urges to preserve our own genes whcih must be the ultiate good for us?

When you mean courage i'll take that as a dangerous situation, because we (those who have had or understand the implications of the same or similar experience) recognise that the actions taken are against the natural (sensible / untrained) reaction.

I find this very difficult to explain but I often wonder why am I me? Why am I, as opposed to someone else, experiencing subjective awareness in this body? Why am I even experiencing the awareness within this mind and body at all? Sure, I still may be here regardless, but why am I the ]consciousness inside my brain and not somebody else's consciousness?

:confused:

"consciousness".......... all reality is individual

you could go on for ever intellectualising about what is consciousness, soul, ego ,ego centre, mind ,spirt ,self but thats all you end up doing intellectualising feeling,its like trying to define love you come up with all the things it is'nt.its something that should be experenced and lived. all those areas of the psyche are areas of feeling, which as a language of its own which, is hard to express in words .,

.maybe its like that zen attitude just do it and be in the moment as much as possible treat life as an adventure, could be that is self realization in its self

One may intervene because of a greater fear. Loss of respect from ones peers.

Do you also think that in the spur of the moment we just react and dont analyse the outcome. It can also depend on how we are feeling at the time. I know it would do with me, and thats an honest answer.

So if I was feeling confident and assertive and there was a tragedy play out in front of me, I am more likely to take control of the situation than if I was maybe tired and lacking in energy?

Archived