Why are you, you?

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Teach man to fish and he will have exhausted the fisheries within a few hundred years of industrialised fishing and processing, decimating the habitats that cover two thirds of the planet and driving the great fishes to the brink of extinction.

I think giving fish is the way forward.

Thanks for all the fish!

I'd built up a mental image of this person and then to see a whole different side to him, which actually explained his previous persona better. Why did this then radically alter what I normally do, why did something 'so trivial' as a flaming troll trigger me to act in a way I tend not too?

It is how you perceive a situation that triggers a particular reaction. The only way to change your reaction is to alter the way you think, which takes time and hard work, but it can be done. Do you think by any chance that you are a black or white thinker?

In what way is an emotive reaction a loss of control? Do you believe that it's only a reaction from you if its a well considered response? If you slip in the street and catch your balance was that not you or was it you but not ' in control'?

Wouldn't that be a trained reaction, autonomous balance almost?

It is how you perceive a situation that triggers a particular reaction. The only way to change your reaction is to alter the way you think, which takes time and hard work, but it can be done. Do you think by any chance that you are a black or white thinker?

I'm very binary.

I'm a computer programmer, who enjoys maths and electronics as relaxing pastimes. ;)

But there is the abstract animator artist in me too! (which is half the reason I enjoy psychology so much!)

How do we collectively consciously agree or disagree, make laws, decide who is right and wrong, decide to believe or not in Gods or teachings, what is science and how did we start to use it?

Surely considering how a collective of us organisms work must in some sense reflect how the individual works?

Wouldn't that be a trained reaction, autonomous balance almost?

Trained... Learned yes, trained I don't think so. But does that make any difference? How about next time you scratch an itch. How about next time you duck a snowball. It's more difficult to find non physical examples, but a lot of our behaviour comes from below the conscious mind and we retrofit it into our conscious model as having decided to take that action.

It's different if you pause before the action, think about it and then take action, although the brain scans still the 'decision' being made up to 0.5 seconds before you can express it in any way!

I'm very binary.

I'm a computer programmer, who enjoys maths and electronics as relaxing pastimes. ;)

But there is the abstract animator artist in me too! (which is half the reason I enjoy psychology so much!)

So do you think you are a black or white thinker?

Archived