Why are you, you?

Q. Will you respond to this post?

If your answer is yes we will see the result, if your answer is no then the lack of answer will become evident. There is no in-between. Discussing it is answering it!

Dont understand the inference.

If you have to give a definite answer i'd (now) have to call it a black and white answer!

Because even if you only have one option, it's still "do I do it or not?"

I think your black and white mindset is making you blind to the possibility that decisions are not binary when there are more than two options. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give you a 6 for trying. Try and represent a scale of 1 to 10 as a binary decision...

Q. Will you respond to this post?

If your answer is yes we will see the result, if your answer is no then the lack of answer will become evident. There is no in-between. Discussing it is answering it!

I don't think anyone has ever claimed that there are no binary situations, decisions or situations, the majority of the time though the real world is not so simple, so always trying to reduce everything to two choices will mean that you a) can't function, b) don't understand many things.

I'm going to make dinner, I have more than two types of food in the house. What would you do now?

I think your black and white mindset is making you blind to the possibility that decisions are not binary when there are more than two options. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give you a 6 for trying. Try and represent a scale of 1 to 10 as a binary decision...

So how do you decide?

How do you order a list?

Here's some tips...

http://www.squidoo.com/sorting-algorithms

Not the best example, but fairly quick to hand, i'll find some with animations later.

At the end of the day you sort by deciding importance of one item over another by comparison, even though it may not seem binary when looked at as a whole.

Scale of 1 - 10, hmmm, is it more likely a 1 or a 10, say 1, ok, now is it closer to 1 or 5, hmm say 3, 3 or 4, 3, hmmm, 3 or 2, no i'd say 3.

I don't think anyone has ever claimed that there are no binary situations, decisions or situations, the majority of the time though the real world is not so simple, so always trying to reduce everything to two choices will mean that you a) can't function, b) don't understand many things.

I'm going to make dinner, I have more than two types of food in the house. What would you do now?

Look at something, do I want that? Can I put it with something? Shall I? etc...

Archived