Why are you, you?

So how does the brain work?

Didn't we go around this loop already. The fact is that we still don't fully understand how the brain works, but it involves chemical neuro transmitters that work across gradients and decay over time, neurons which have multiple inputs and multiple output strengths, grey matter which we only recently realised was doing anything and probably more that we haven't yet worked out.

Didn't we go around this loop already. The fact is that we still don't fully understand how the brain works, but it involves chemical neuro transmitters that work across gradients and decay over time, neurons which have multiple inputs and multiple output strengths, grey matter which we only recently realised was doing anything and probably more that we haven't yet worked out.

Even that last video referenced showed binary displays of the brain working, thought you might accept it better from a world renowned scientist.

You understand that this is a simulation based on our current limited understanding?

What is?

That video is 18 minutes long, is there a specific bit you think I should be looking at?

Well if your interested in the subject then i'd suggest you watch it all, but it's your decision.

Here's one from google about his research...

http://oxion.dpag.ox.ac.uk/research/miesenboeck_research

I found out about him when quisquose mentioned a BBC4 radio programme they thought would be interesting.

-->

He's one of two neuroscientists who have been given large grants to develop our understanding of the brain. His approach is to demonstrate how it works, whilst the other is going to map all the super highways of the brain, they say it'll be as big a breakthrough as mapping the genome.

I just thought the video would have been interesting. He isolated the neuron which makes a fruitfly jump, then cut off it's head and proved it. Can't really demonstrate that in philosophical writing, something to be seen I believe.

That video is 18 minutes long, is there a specific bit you think I should be looking at?

Try 1:45 to 2:15

Sounds pretty binary to me!

The feedback loop he describes later is interesting yet pretty standard, but then he introduces the 'critic'.

Try 1:45 to 2:15

Sounds pretty binary to me!

The feedback loop he describes later is interesting yet pretty standard, but then he introduces the 'critic'.

That's just what you wanted to hear. It's also completely ignoring everything in the brain except for neurons. You wouldn't be you without all the chemicals, grey matter (not neuronal) and whatever else we haven't noticed yet. You're not going to argue that chemical gradients are binary as well are you?

Archived