Why are you, you?

Could you expand on that a little perhaps?

In the context in which I was dismissing it, I don't think it's a mistake. I don't doubt that there are many people who've contributed greatly to humanity who were religious, in fact historically, the vast majority probably were. And I'm sure they got comfort, and in some cases, inspiration from their beliefs. However I was dismissing religion as a means to answer the question posed in the OP, and I stand by that.

Fair enough, and you're right, let's not get into that.:?

expand? not sure i can:hihi: but here goes. i have always thought no other field of human endevour answers the 'how' better than science. but it tends to falter with the 'why'. how we cry or smile for example. science. the why. not sure it can answer that so well. how the muscle work, yes. but why a 105pound mother can kick the hell out of a 300pound man when she feels he's putting her child in danger not so much.

i'm struggling with this, aren't i? i don't think that why a mother lift a 500 pound slab off her child is more complex than how her muscles worked to do it. but more 'abstract'. does this make sense?

as to the religion question i think it is a personal question wether it answers the question or not. (i'm aware this is some polititian weasle answer but i can't come up with anything better:-)

may i suggest that philosophy deals with ideas too abstract for science to deal with. ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy

Philosophy is generally conjecture (i.e. without substance), it'll then either be proved mathematically or by other scientific means. (Also see: hypothesis, theory, speculation).

Abstract doesn't even need to come into it! But then it depends on how your studying the problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy

Philosophy is generally conjecture (i.e. without substance), it'll then either be proved mathematically or by other scientific means. (Also see: hypothesis, theory, speculation).

Abstract doesn't even need to come into it! But then it depends on how your studying the problem.

spooky what answers everything to you?

your defintion of philosophy can also go for science.

and, how are YOU studying the 'problem'?

spooky what answers everything to you?

your defintion of philosophy can also go for science.

and, how are YOU studying the 'problem'?

As I said, I use the word conjecture instead of philosophically, sometimes i'll use different words if I think them more apt.

As I said, I use the word conjecture instead of philosophically, sometimes i'll use different words if I think them more apt.

could you give me an example of a situation where the word conjecture could be substituted for philosophocally or the other way round.

I conject that philosohical ideas are also just based on beliefs, probable or not.

I philosophically believe that conjecture is just an idea based on a belief, probable or not.

Sorry to be so brief, but House is on and it's the adverts... Bye

Are you really doing a degree on creative writing?

good play on words. but the two are not synonyms for each other. they don't work in the sense you tried at the begining.

and to answer your question, yes, yes i am, at hallam.

off to the ale house now. it's been emotional.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived