Snow chains how easy to fit

There are some other threads on the same subject, suggest you do a search.

I fitted some yesterday as I've got a steep driveway and snow covered side streets, went to work and back, 10 miles in total and mostly on snow free roads as this can't always be anticipated before setting out. They are not easy to fit (and tension) until you have had some practice (use spare wheel if possible). They create a lot of noise and vibration and you must corner and brake gently. I've been up to 30mph where they begin to smooth out, but better to keep to 20-25mph. I would only use them if you have to.

There are some other threads on the same subject, suggest you do a search.

I fitted some yesterday as I've got a steep driveway and snow covered side streets, went to work and back, 10 miles in total and mostly on snow free roads as this can't always be anticipated before setting out. They are not easy to fit (and tension) until you have had some practice (use spare wheel if possible). They create a lot of noise and vibration and you must corner and brake gently. I've been up to 30mph where they begin to smooth out, but better to keep to 20-25mph. I would only use them if you have to.

Just FYI, you shouldn't be using them at all on roads which are not covered by snow. The idea is to stop and take them off.

OP these are easy to fit and tension automatically. There's a video of how to do it on the page too.

The more you pay, the better and easier they are to fit and remove, although the tensioning problem can be overcome (if you're not fussy) by using a couple of pairs of aero-elasts. As I mentioned before, it's one thing fitting them under cover, another in snow and slush so its advisable to carry a kneeling pad and brush/shovel.

Came home today via Wensley St/Hinde House Cresc./Lane/Bellhouse with no problems, even having to stop in the middle of Wensley St. near the school entrance.

Yes, they do work, but only on compacted snow and ice. They're not much use on fluffy snow and you will trash wheel, tyre, chains and road surface if you try to drive any distance on completely clear roads.

At the moment I'd need them to get up our street but would need to stop at the bottom of our road and take them off again before driving on the main road, but for that 100 yards they'd be very important.

Archived