Falkland oil find

What if the Argies laid claim to our North Sea oil 50 years ago ? How would we have like that ? We are just a third rate former imperial power that can no longer afford to punch above its weight. If I was an argie I would be pretty upset with our involvement in the Southern Atlantic. The oil lies nearest to Argentina as far as I can make out and therefore should go to them. We have no right to steal the mineral wealth some 12,000 miles from the UK.

How can we claim oil that is thousands of miles away from this country. What right do we have to steal all this mineral wealth ? None whatsoever ! No wonder this little third rate island nation of ours is so disliked worldwide ! Thatcher knew their was oil there 30 years ago. Her husband was a director of burma oil. Do you honestly believe she wanted to protect penguins and a few thousand sheep ? The oil companies will have another massive pay day ! Never mind about the troops that gave their lives in the Falklands conflict. You honestly think the only reason we are in Afgahn in to kick out the Taliban ?

That's what our forces are for-to protect our overseas interests.

What if the Argies laid claim to our North Sea oil 50 years ago ? How would we have like that ? We are just a third rate former imperial power that can no longer afford to punch above its weight. If I was an argie I would be pretty upset with our involvement in the Southern Atlantic. The oil lies nearest to Argentina as far as I can make out and therefore should go to them. We have no right to steal the mineral wealth some 12,000 miles from the UK.

the problem with that is the people on those islands want to stay british and we have to respect that.

"our" so the oil fields in the southern atlantic belong to us ? really ? why ? what gives us the right to own them ? what if oil was found just off cornwall and South America said we want them. How would we feel about that ?

The UK has laid claim to it end of.

What you should be doing is asking useful questions about where all the revenue will go.

I think their infrastructure is a bit too advanced to qualify. A joint bid by South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands however may just stand a chance....
They'd have to get rid of the Argie sub we sank at South Georgia first.

"the problem with that is the people on those islands want to stay british and we have to respect that" do you honestly think the reason we sent a task force down there some 30 years ago was about the islanders staying british and not about the potential revenue the oil companies will get from the oil exploration in the southern atlantic ? Get real !

Archived