'take the British away and give us back the Americans'

From the Wikileaks:

Karzai repeatedly muses to his US interlocutors on why the arrival of British troops coincided with a rapid deterioration in security in Helmand in 2006. In the aftermath of the US-led invasion of Afghanistan in 2001 Karzai recalled that he entered the south of the country with just 14 US special forces and that soon afterwards "even Helmand was safe for girls to go school. Now, 4,000 [sic] British soldiers are in Helmand and the people are not safe".

On several occasions Karzai is reported to have disparaged the UK military and blamed its approach – which rejected his preferred "tribal solution" of appointing an alleged drug trafficker as provincial governor – for the absence of security in Helmand.

At a meeting with Senator John McCain in December 2008 he said he was relieved that US marines were being sent to reinforce the British-led mission in Helmand and "related an anecdote in which a woman from Helmand asked him to 'take the British away and give us back the Americans' ".

In another meeting with US officials, Rangin Dadfar Spanta, then foreign minister, expressed disappointment at the ordering of an extra 2,000 British soldiers to Helmand, arguing "they were not ready to fight as actively as American soldiers".

more

From the Wikileaks:

Karzai repeatedly muses to his US interlocutors on why the arrival of British troops coincided with a rapid deterioration in security in Helmand in 2006. In the aftermath of the US-led invasion of Afghanistan in 2001 Karzai recalled that he entered the south of the country with just 14 US special forces and that soon afterwards "even Helmand was safe for girls to go school. Now, 4,000 [sic] British soldiers are in Helmand and the people are not safe".

On several occasions Karzai is reported to have disparaged the UK military and blamed its approach – which rejected his preferred "tribal solution" of appointing an alleged drug trafficker as provincial governor – for the absence of security in Helmand.

At a meeting with Senator John McCain in December 2008 he said he was relieved that US marines were being sent to reinforce the British-led mission in Helmand and "related an anecdote in which a woman from Helmand asked him to 'take the British away and give us back the Americans' ".

In another meeting with US officials, Rangin Dadfar Spanta, then foreign minister, expressed disappointment at the ordering of an extra 2,000 British soldiers to Helmand, arguing "they were not ready to fight as actively as American soldiers".

more

Dont understand why Karzey is saying this. I mean if he was any good at his job he would be able to sort his own country out, without our help

I think we should listen to the Amerixcans because their military interbventions always end up producing such fantastic results. :hihi:

I could well believe British troops are not as motivatesd as their American counter parts. It is very clear from the way we get treated in our 'special relationship' with the US that the attitude is that we are oinly there in a support role to 'Big Daddy' and that we should do what we are told. Hardly inspiring or motivational for front line British Troops. "Now look here chaps, I expect each man to do his duty in support of ongoing American foreign policy blunders, even in the face of their barely concealed contempt."

As for Karzai, he is a crook. So British troops are fighting a war against insurgents - who were enciouraged and armed by the Americans in the 1980s - in support of a puppet despot (who would clearly stab them in the back without blinking if it suited him) and his corrupt regime. You can hardly blame them if they aren't enthusiastic.

Dont understand why Karzey is saying this. I mean if he was any good at his job he would be able to sort his own country out, without our help

Don't know if he is to TBH. The one thing that is clear is that the website is trying to divide political opinion. (Seperate and isolate) Who is running the website and what are their motives?

Don't know if he is to TBH. The one thing that is clear is that the website is trying to divide political opinion. (Seperate and isolate) Who is running the website and what are their motives?

I thought the motive was some naive schoolboy politics of "right to know"?

The effect is a scattergun of trouble not aligned with any ideology as far as I can see, just simple exposure for its own sake.

I think some good has come out of it, how many Islamic nutters wail about the Wests war against Islam? Clearly Islamic leaders are asking us to declare war against other Islamic leaders. More interested in money and power than religion shock horror. This will no doubt be lost on the 4 Lions brigade.

I'm also surprised by Iran just shrugging it off. Imagine if they had gone ballistic. There is a lot of danger with naive 'truth seekers'.

Archived