(music) journalists help??

I need your help :)

I'm a 17 year old A level student planning to go into journalism and I have a few favours to ask of you. First of all check out my blog.

I can't yet post links (silly sheffield forum) so it's a bit separated.

http://

abigailsuter.posterous

.com

Check the portfolio section and go to some of the link for music reviews and give me some feedback or subscribe or something.

Also, I'm looking for advice. Just general stuff other than info about work experience as seen as I already have a volunteer job with Get Ready To Rock! doing radio and reviews. I also have contacts with various record labels so I know I'm on the right track with that just I want a bit of advice.

Oh, and I plan to do a degree in Magazine Journalism next year if all goes well.

my brother has been a music journalist with the bbc for 10 years now. started as a volunteer having to travel from sheffield to work at bbc lancashire in blackburn everyday (without pay).

he's always been into music, but even as a music journalist his job includes generic journalism. chances of you getting a job where you only write about music are slim im afraid, you have to be prepared to do whatever/whenever.

although the free cd's and gigs are good, he attends in his own time normally after a full days work, 5/6 days a week. he also suffers from tinitus now, brought on by listening to loud music (its a part of the job most music journalists suffer but no-one tells you!)

volunteer everywhere, online music sites (orange used to pay for gig reviews, not sure if they do now) and build up a good portfolio of work, its that which will get you in the door, not any sort of qualification!!

Bornwinner's comments have never been truer. The chances of you finding a music journalism job, unless you are exceptional, are extremely low. You can build up a portfolio and target the various magazines, but they're far more likely to take on people they know personally than accept someone from their CV.

I've never got work from my CV - only through other jobs and networking that way.

You really do have to be prepared to do all sorts of journalism, unless you want to freelance for magazines, which is no standard of living as you need to write way more than is possible to make a decent salary.

Sorry to sound so negative. There are only a few music journalism jobs and, like all "prestigious" journalism jobs, they are jealously coveted.

OK. Advice: get experience whenever and whenever you can. Free work, paid work, it's all good experience.

In this day and age where the competition is so fierce, you'll have to do a lot of things and go the extra miles if you are truly sincere about reaching your goal of music journo!

I need your help :)

I'm a 17 year old A level student planning to go into journalism and I have a few favours to ask of you. First of all check out my blog.

I can't yet post links (silly sheffield forum) so it's a bit separated.

http://

abigailsuter.posterous

.com

Check the portfolio section and go to some of the link for music reviews and give me some feedback or subscribe or something.

Also, I'm looking for advice. Just general stuff other than info about work experience as seen as I already have a volunteer job with Get Ready To Rock! doing radio and reviews. I also have contacts with various record labels so I know I'm on the right track with that just I want a bit of advice.

Oh, and I plan to do a degree in Magazine Journalism next year if all goes well.

I'd recommend doing a degree in English as opposed to Magazine Journalism. Not only does it offer a wider range of future career possibilliites but all the journalists I have ever worked with had degrees in English rather than journalism

Most Universities will have journalism related units on English courses which will keep you informed of journalistic practices so you'll still be able to do what interests you but you will leave with a much more rounded degree.

Also the posters talking about work experience are bang on the money. Unfortunately be prepared to work for free or at best very little for quite a long time. Also be prepared to work in any area of jounalism just to show your abillity to write good informed articles even on subjects you're not that interested in.

Most importantly though is be determined if you want it and are good the job's will come. Just be prepared for a long slog after University.

Archived