Is it true asda is selling halal meat..

Now its been said that 90% of halal is stunned and the failure rate of the bolt stunning method on the first bolt is up to 10% (often ?) So it boils down to whether its acceptable to put up with 10% of a good practice or 10% of a bad practice.

You also shouldnt forget that the number of conventionally slaughtered carcasses far outnumbers the halal slaughtered ones, so that 10% represents a very significant number indeed.

Oh for goodness sake, how many times are we going to have to revisit this subject? Surely, it's been covered ad nauseum by now? Some of us can't even get any bread and milk right now, let alone specifically mumbo-jumboed meat ... :rolleyes:

If it wasn't available, they would just not have to eat meat ... which would be better for them anyway.

1. Do you think that we should endeavour to slaughter animals with as little cruelty as possible? Yes/No.

Yes, which is why I've consistently said I've no problem with any meat, provided it's pre stunned.

2. If your answer to 1. is yes, can you explain how religion can provide additional benefit towards this endeavour?

I never claimed it did. Frankly I don't care, but the meat should be labelled so that those that do can make an informed choice about it.

You seem to be confusing my observations with some sympathy for the well being of the fox-I haven't any. What concerns me is the mindset of human beings who derive pleasure from killing animals.

Ill ignore the other silly questions.

If a butcher enjoyed his job, should be stop? If a dear hunter enjoyed their 'job' should they stop?

You are commenting on what you have seen on the TV, not what actually happens in rural parts of the country and as I have stated many times, to you and others, I get no pleasure from killing any animal. I only accept the need to remove problem foxes from the countryside, nothing more. I certainly do not agree with breeding foxes for hunting or using hounds to hunt stag either.

From the RSPCA

"Similarly it is possible for animals stunned with a captive bolt to regain consciousness if they are not stunned effectively. This is can occur if the captive bolt pistol is incorrectly positioned when fired on the animal’s head. With captive bolt stunning it is essential that the pistol is correctly positioned, the correct charge cartridge is used to fire the captive bolt, and the pistol is regularly checked and maintained."

http://content.www.rspca.org.uk/cmsprd/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application/pdf&blobkey=id&blobnocache=false&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1232994130293&ssbinary=true

Your link tries to download something ??

I know it can fail as I put in my post above, I found the failure rate is up to 10% but is this classed as often ?

And as you have stated yourself 10% of hal hal is not even stunned I fail to see your argument on bolt failure. At least they try to render the animal unconscious, where's the distinction between failure and re addressing that failure immediately and not trying at all ?

Oh for goodness sake, how many times are we going to have to revisit this subject? Surely, it's been covered ad nauseum by now? Some of us can't even get any bread and milk right now, let alone specifically mumbo-jumboed meat ... :rolleyes:

If it wasn't available, they would just not have to eat meat ... which would be better for them anyway.

Your contribution isn't mandatory ruby, if the subject matter grievously offends you.

They shouldn't be according to the Christian gospel, however I don't believe anybody should be forced to eat meat whose source they're unsure of, the halal stuff should be clearly labelled in my opinion.

Correct people shold be allowed to make their own choices about halal meat and people who serve it should make this clear.

Your contribution isn't mandatory ruby, if the subject matter grievously offends you.
Well, neither is yours, really. But you insist on contributing to every thread ... even if it means repeating yourself ad nauseum. :D Maybe a megathread is in order?

Cruelty to other living creatures does offend me grievously, that much is true. :(

Your link tries to download something ??

I know it can fail as I put in my post above, I found the failure rate is up to 10% but is this classed as often ?

It's 'often' enough to the 10% who have to go through the procedure twice!

And as you have stated yourself 10% of hal hal is not even stunned I fail to see your argument on bolt failure.

..well Id ban meat that hadnt been pre-stunned, but in any event the 10% that hasn't been stunned is in far smaller numbers than the 10% of livestock that suffer a failure of the captive bolt method.

Archived