Sould i get paid for being told not to come into work?

During the snow we have just had there is alway problems about people gettign to work, and i understand if you dont get paid for not going in, but, what if you went in to work and they said we are closing today so you cant work, or you rang to check if work was open while on way and they said dont come in cause we are closing?

I did the 2 and they are saying I am not getting paid. But why when i would have worked my shift?? its not my fault they chose to close?

Closing the office

What if you are forced to close the office due to the severe weather conditions?

If you decide to temporarily close your business premises at short notice because of unforeseen circumstances, such as heavy snowfall, and there is no work available for your employees as a result, you cannot usually withhold pay.

If you do, employees could bring unauthorised deduction from wages claims to recover the pay owed. The only exception to this is if you have an 'unpaid lay-off' clause in your contracts of employment, or the employees expressly consent to being laid off without pay.

There are, however, complicated rules surrounding lay-off clauses, including rules about statutory guarantee payments, and you should take legal advice before proceeding. http://www.out-law.com/page-10643

That is suppose to come from a law firm. I don't know how accurate it is though.

Archived