Thank god for indoor toilets

Elmambo

Sheer bliss having an Eartha Kitt in them days.

Spooky hike in dark, subzero temperatures over dad's 'crazy paved' garden to the cludgy.

Door creaks open alerting the neighbours that you're about to 'perform'.

If you were lucky the hurricane lamp was still lit, the ice was still at bay, and no wildlife had nipped in for a quick warm.

Any one of the above criterior not met and your next 5 minutes would be hell.

Being a shortarse didn't help either because keeping the door closed usually meant stretching your foot out to hold it in place.

If you've never done a 'Barnes Wallis' onto solid ice you've never lived and you just knew that if the 'target' was frozen, then surely the cistern was too.:gag:

Highlight of the event was the 'clearing up' operation. Us 'tough buggers' usually had a torn up copy of The Star (although The Green Un sometimes added colour) hanging from a rusty old nail on the door - usually eye height to a five year old.

Every now and then though, mum would treat us to Izal. Not known for its 'abrasive' qualities, but it left a beautiful shine.

As for the iced up plumbing and the resultant 'log jam'?

Blame the next person to go .... preferably your sister.

Oh, and the panic when the door jammed almost shut because a stone someone trod in earlier is now stuck under it.

"Quick!! Get out before the 'cludgy slug' gets ya!!!":suspect::hihi:

My main worry was if there was any spiders in there...they were big black ones then.:gag:....Yes it seems a million years ago now doesn't it? putting your coat on to go to the loo but at least you could keep your hands in the pockets while you were sitting there.

A friend of mine still has still got the old outside toilet in his backyard. It's still working properly, complete with little paraffin lamp which is lit during icy weather. It's usually my first port of call when I visit (at my age when I need to go, I need to go).In his back yard he's also got a fully restored wall mounted Sheffield gas lamp complete with the original ceramic reflectors. It's connected to the mains gas and works on the original clockwork timer. It's a trip down memory lane on every visit!

A friend of mine still has still got the old outside toilet in his backyard. It's still working properly, complete with little paraffin lamp which is lit during icy weather. It's usually my first port of call when I visit (at my age when I need to go, I need to go). He's also got a fully restored wall mounted Sheffield gas lamp complete with the original ceramic reflectors. It's connected to the mains gas and works on the original clockwork timer. It's a trip down memory lane on every visit!
As long as you don't keep bumping into last week's deposits each time you go.:hihi:

Archived