Could this cold snap be the beginning of the end for compensation culture?

Over the last few years, people have been given sums of money after having accidents, often sueing someone, or more importantly the local authority.

We have got to a pint whereby we cannot clear our paths in case someone slips and sues, schools cannot open in case a child slips and the school ends up with a compensation claim against them.

Although, this has not been viewed as serious, are the chickens beginning to come home to roost, are we as a society begining to reap what we have sown.

People go into a panic at the first sign of a snowflake, and begin panic buying as if we are on the verge of a nuclear war, and 2 days of salt has brought the country to its knees.

Will we as a society have to accept that sometimes accidents happen, and that sometimes we may take a risk? or, as in the case of a school, do we shut the school in case someone slips in the playground?

If we wish to remain with the compensation culture, then I guess people will have to accept that in Winter, potentially what has happened over the last week could become the norm.

Do we in this country have to get a 'can do'attitude back, rather than 'i can't do that' attitude

Its also worth noting that back in 1979, during the winter of discontent and strikes, the snow was bad in that year, however the country was never brought to its knees as it has in the past week. Its also worth noting that many of the elderly residents on our street were clearing their paths of snow, whereas the younger fitter ones simply sat on their backsides in their homes

Over the last few years, people have been given sums of money after having accidents, often sueing someone, or more importantly the local authority.

We have got to a pint whereby we cannot clear our paths in case someone slips and sues, schools cannot open in case a child slips and the school ends up with a compensation claim against them.

Although, this has not been viewed as serious, are the chickens beginning to come home to roost, are we as a society begining to reap what we have sown.

People go into a panic at the first sign of a snowflake, and begin panic buying as if we are on the verge of a nuclear war, and 2 days of salt has brought the country to its knees.

Will we as a society have to accept that sometimes accidents happen, and that sometimes we may take a risk? or, as in the case of a school, do we shut the school in case someone slips in the playground?

If we wish to remain with the compensation culture, then I guess people will have to accept that in Winter, potentially what has happened over the last week could become the norm.

Do we in this country have to get a 'can do'attitude back, rather than 'i can't do that' attitude

Its also worth noting that back in 1979, during the winter of discontent and strikes, the snow was bad in that year, however the country was never brought to its knees as it has in the past week. Its also worth noting that many of the elderly residents on our street were clearing their paths of snow, whereas the younger fitter ones simply sat on their backsides in their homes

i've got to a pint, cheers

*takes a swig*

If you have some sort of business ect, and you have visitors/public or people using your business then you should do everything you can to make people safe.

You can't be 100% risk free anywhere but if I went to a business or my child school where part of the entrance to that business/school (their property) was not gritted or cleared to some degree and there was to be an accident then its fair to assume that they are liable to pay for my injuries.

Its easy, you have to have been seen to make it safe at least or you deserve it when the summons comes through the door.

we don't have a compensation culture here

also much of the supply chain for retail and manufacturing business is built on "just in time" principles so anything other than a short term disruption to it is catastrophic

in the good old days most people lived fairly close to where they worked that's changed and people commute far further distances so again any distruption to the travel network is catastrophic

I don't think the compensation culture (which is mostly a fantasy anyway) is to blame so much as the increase in self-centredness that has become the cultural norm over the decades, especially regarding public spaces which used to be seen as communal but are now more like no man's land. I think you're far more likely to hear 'it's someone else's job to do that' or 'what do I pay my council tax for' than 'I might get sued'.

We also had a long stretch without a really bitter winter, and some years with practically no snow at all, so partially I think people are just out of the habit, or are of an age that hasn't really been put through it until last year (or this).

A lot of people slip after a pint - or two ;)

No seriously, i agree with what your saying completely...i think most people will.

The mail isn't going out due to health and safety. If a postman slips from the ice and sues the company, it will cost Royal Mail millions of pounds in compensation, because they are the ones that sent postman out.

So you get a situation where managers are too frightened to send anyone out to get mail delivered, and so no one gets their mail.

This has a knock on effect of delaying the post of businesses, costing the whole country millions. Lets see how long it lasts.

Taken from RMBC website........

Clearing snow and ice yourself - the 'snow code' There's no law stopping you from clearing snow and ice on the pavement outside your home or from public spaces. It's unlikely you'll be sued or held legally responsible for any injuries on the path if you have cleared it carefully.

Remember, people walking on snow and ice have responsibility to be careful themselves.

For advice on clearing paths and public spaces safely and effectively, see: Clearing snow and ice from pavements yourself

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/adverseweather

Archived