Could this cold snap be the beginning of the end for compensation culture?

You want someone to indemnify you for clearing your path?

I think that's the problem right there - not compensation culture, but compensation victim culture - using a nebulous yet superficially plausible risk of legislation to avoid doing something when in actual fact the number of private lawsuits is close to zero?

Urban Mythology.

Sadly no. I once worked in the Ministry of Justice as an Accommodation Liaison Officer overseeing works, maintenance etc. I was given a new task of dealing with safety outside courts in the winter. I queried why there was no grit being spread. The answer was that in the eyes of the law or at least unscrupulous ambulance chasers, to grit a path is to admit liability and therefore we were wide open to abuse if we gritted. As such we had to abandon the 99.9% of normal people to their fate because of those who would inevitably slip in the cold and then see £££'s flashing before their eyes.

There are also people who make a 'career' out of falling over and see 'the council' as one massive cash cow for their milking knowing no one will object because everyone sneers at councils. The reality is these parasites are after our money.

I agree with the OP and actually wonder why anyone deserves money in an accident caused by the weather. If someone drives into you yes but saying "I slipped on ice so council owes me cash" is frankly pathetic. Ah but it's a buildings responsibility to ensure safety of users. Yes it is but it can never guarantee 100% protection. If you go over then tough.

You were misinformed.

Maybe, but I'm guessing the policy was based on experience, particularly considering the morality of some of the people leaving court who might 'accidentally' slip.

It's quite a massive assertion you are making that the law does not work that way and there are not people seeking to milk it. I won't say you are wrong as my knowledge is sketchy and I'd rather you were right. The consensus opinion seems to be different.

Archived