Are Pete McKee's products overpriced?

It does to me, plus the ones most people want are going for £180! plus there's framing at around £40, why the presumption I smoke and drink a lot?

Open edition prints on paper - £30

Limited edition prints on canvas/screen print - £180/£200

The T shirt you linked to also has a limited edition print included.

The other limited edition prints can be as limited as ten copies in total.

It shouldn't need spelling out how the words I've emboldened impact on the sale price and future value of the works. They have inbuilt rarity, which some are prepared to pay more for. And why do you object to the cost of framing? Most artists and artisans, even well known names, hardly make a wealthy living or sometimes barely break even from their work alone. McKee's hit a productive and popular seam. McKee's a self-employed cottage industry, not Primark or ASDA. Small-run quality repros cost more money than mass produced ones. That's before you even factor in the artist's time, vision, skill and overhead factors.

I've never really understood why folks have a downer on talented people actually earning money.

I'm with you there. He's a genuine local success story with a unique and instantly identifiable style. £30 for a basic print is a good price.

I'd LOVE one. When he does well known people, you can always tell who they are, despite having no discernable features. Fab. He charges what people will pay, I'm pretty sure when he first started out, he was in no position to charge highly, and now he is.

I hate inverted snobbery :rolleyes:

*tries to imagine the ecclesfield beagles done by Pete McKee* :hihi:

Alex, can you pull strings? :D

No mate even Stuart his brother has had to pay full price for the two he has got.

Believe me I have tried.

When you have people like the Gallaghers [OASIS] queuing up for his work what chance have we got?.

Open edition prints on paper - £30

Limited edition prints on canvas/screen print - £180/£200

The T shirt you linked to also has a limited edition print included.

The other limited edition prints can be as limited as ten copies in total.

It shouldn't need spelling out how the words I've emboldened impact on the sale price and future value of the works. They have inbuilt rarity, which some are prepared to pay more for. And why do you object to the cost of framing? Most artists and artisans, even well known names, hardly make a wealthy living or sometimes barely break even from their work alone. McKee's hit a productive and popular seam. McKee's a self-employed cottage industry, not Primark or ASDA. Small-run quality repros cost more money than mass produced ones. That's before you even factor in the artist's time, vision, skill and overhead factors.

I'm with you there. He's a genuine local success story with a unique and instantly identifiable style. £30 for a basic print is a good price.

Firstly where have I ever said I hate his artwork and hope he fails? Secondly I don't object to paying to have any picture framed, just think that they charge way too much for what it is, especially on top of paying an extortionate amount for a mass produced print, thirdly, Europosters are selling some of his open prints at £4.99 http://www.europosters.co.uk/posters/pete-mckee-wasted-v13132 very reasonable prices common folk P.McKee portrays like me can afford.

If you want cheap "art" then get to Ikea or somewhere like that and get something that 200,000 other people have got.

I think the one of the tennis player scratching her bum is on offer. It's just the job when you've got the Saatchi's round for dinner and need to make conversation.

No mate even Stuart his brother has had to pay full price for the two he has got.

Believe me I have tried.

When you have people like the Gallaghers [OASIS] queuing up for his work what chance have we got?.

I didn't mean on price, but on content ;)

I'm not deprecating anything, just saying it should be horses for courses, if you appeal to a certain audience then the products should easily be affordable by that target audience.

It's aimed at people like him - he is his own target audience... People who came from the working classes, earned cash from their own talents and moved up in the world... I have a couple, and I came from a Notts pit area, but I ran off to Manchester as a teenager for uni, got a good job earned cash and never went back... Things out of my price range also appeal to me, but it doesn't mean that I am their target client:hihi:

Archived