Are Pete McKee's products overpriced?

Isn't it always said that art is worth what people will pay for it?

I'm not a fan of Pete McKee's stuff. To me it's simplistic, dull, says nothing and isn't even decorative.

I think that applies to the worth, rather than value, of anything which is determined by what people are willing to pay.

I like his stuff and the simplicity and stylised effect are what appeal to me. I also like bold colours, so he ticks the box there too.

I have one of his prints and bought one for a friend last Christmas, framed it cost £60 which I think is very reasonable. I'd love to get a limited edition print or canvas some time but at the moment can't justify paying the price, which is not an unreasonable one in my view. I got a friend the DJ one framed last year for £25 in a sale at the West End Gallery on Sharrowvale Road, which was a real bargain.

It's aimed at people like him - he is his own target audience... People who came from the working classes, earned cash from their own talents and moved up in the world... I have a couple, and I came from a Notts pit area, but I ran off to Manchester as a teenager for uni, got a good job earned cash and never went back... Things out of my price range also appeal to me, but it doesn't mean that I am their target client:hihi:

So his art is mostly aimed at the working classes who've earned money? Is Waitrose now aimed at working class people who've earned cash?

In general certain pursuits are probably always going to be more attractive to different social classes, therefore knowing your target audience you attract these customers and adjust your prices accordingly.

Hence why London Road's restaurants are overall cheaper, offer bigger portions and are better value than those on Ecclesall Road, but the surroundings are not as pleasant, they've all adjusted their prices and decor to meet their target audience.

Personally, I think his works atrocious. It's banal and lacks any thought or skill. The paintings look like the sort of rubbish cards you'd buy in Poundland on a bad day. I wouldn't give them houseroom ... even in the cellar!

Having said that, good luck to him! He's hit on a niche market of people who have no understanding of art and just want something 'nice' to stick above the fireplace (which is only a few feet higher than where it should be) :gag:

Personally, I think his works atrocious. It's banal and lacks any thought or skill. The paintings look like the sort of rubbish cards you'd buy in Poundland on a bad day. I wouldn't give them houseroom ... even in the cellar!

Having said that, good luck to him! He's hit on a niche market of people who have no understanding of art and just want something 'nice' to stick above the fireplace (which is only a few feet higher than where it should be) :gag:

Who does understand art?.

I suppose whe you have film stars, pop stars and major world wide companies competing for your work it doesn't matter.

Pete does alot more than people think. You may be wearing a well know brand of clothing with a motif designed by pete Mckee.;).

Hes does remind me of a person who if he fell into a pit of poo he would come out smelling of roses.

When he was a lad we took him to Ireland on a fishing weekend with us and he had never been fishing before.

On the second day he hit a wall of Bream and won the match.:hihi:.

Some very good anglers were not happy that day.:rant:.

Who does understand art?.

I suppose whe you have film stars, pop stars and major world wide companies competing for your work it doesn't matter.

Pete does alot more than people think. You may be wearing a well know brand of clothing with a motif designed by pete Mckee.;).

Hes does remind me of a person who if he fell into a pit of poo he would come out smelling of roses.

When he was a lad we took him to Ireland on a fishing weekend with us and he had never been fishing before.

On the second day he hit a wall of Bream and won the match.:hihi:.

Some very good anglers were not happy that day.:rant:.

Hey! ... Def Leppard were in the year below me at school. They were really great guys and one of them was a close personal friend. Doesn't mean their musics any good though does it! :)

Well, atrocious you may think it, but as you rightly say he's doing pretty well out of it. To describe people who buy Pete's work as 'knowing nothing about art' sounds a bit like sour grapes, none of your works selling lately? Art is subjective, one man's Caravaggio is another man's monkey covered in toilet roll or kitten hanging from screen door with the motto 'hang in there baby'. I don't claim to be an expert on art, don't give a flying fart for line, colour or form, but I recognise when someone has captured moments from my life, in colours that are familiar, that speaks more to me than a cow in formaldehyde, or an installation of frozen turds in aspic....

but hey, we're all entitled to an opinion, everyone's got one..... you know the rest. :D

Well, atrocious you may think it, but as you rightly say he's doing pretty well out of it. To describe people who buy Pete's work as 'knowing nothing about art' sounds a bit like sour grapes, none of your works selling lately? Art is subjective, one man's Caravaggio is another man's monkey covered in toilet roll or kitten hanging from screen door with the motto 'hang in there baby'. I don't claim to be an expert on art, don't give a flying fart for line, colour or form, but I recognise when someone has captured moments from my life, in colours that are familiar, that speaks more to me than a cow in formaldehyde, or an installation of frozen turds in aspic....

but hey, we're all entitled to an opinion, everyone's got one..... you know the rest. :D

As you say, if you don't give a 'flying fart to line , colour or form', there's not much of a picture left is there? These are the punters Mr Mc Nee's aiming at, yourself included by the sound of things! ... Are you a footballer? (by the way, I do paint but I don't sell my work and have no intention to) :D

Archived