Are Pete McKee's products overpriced?

As koenigsinger said, art is entirely subjective. I also happen to love Rothko and Matisse both of whom could be described as banal, lacking in skill and thought, however, to me I find them aesthetic, simple, bold and colourful. Mckee also has the added appeal of being local.

I would describe Lowry's work as banal and lacking in skill, however, I wouldn't denigrate those to whom his works speak. A chacun son goût.

As koenigsinger said, art is entirely subjective. I also happen to love Rothko and Matisse both of whom could be described as banal, lacking in skill and thought, however, to me I find them aesthetic, simple, bold and colourful. Mckee also has the added appeal of being local.

I would describe Lowry's work as banal and lacking in skill, however, I wouldn't denigrate those to whom his works speak. A chacun son goût.

I would say that for me, being local is his only appeal.

I had heard of him, but until today had not studied any of his work. And if the pictures section on the website is as good as it gets, then I don't think I'll be going out of my way to look at anymore.

I'm struggling to find how you can speak of Lowry's work in such terms but, as you say, each to their own.

So in answer to the OP - Yes they are overpriced (although the Richard Hawley one was mildly interesting)

So his art is mostly aimed at the working classes who've earned money? Is Waitrose now aimed at working class people who've earned cash?

In general certain pursuits are probably always going to be more attractive to different social classes, therefore knowing your target audience you attract these customers and adjust your prices accordingly.

Hence why London Road's restaurants are overall cheaper, offer bigger portions and are better value than those on Ecclesall Road, but the surroundings are not as pleasant, they've all adjusted their prices and decor to meet their target audience.

I'd have said so, wouldn't you? - you would have to be of a certain age and have experienced similar things (space invaders, greasy spoons, working mens clubs etc) and so have come from a working class back ground, but now have the sort of cash to splash on a canvas... If you don't have that cash, a cheap print is always an option... When you are on a limited or fixed income, art collecting probably isn't at the top of your list...

Have to say I can't comment re difference of London Rd and Eccy Rd restaurants, but realistically it's a totally different product, art and food... Food you need, art you don't need really...

Have to say I can't comment re difference of London Rd and Eccy Rd restaurants, but realistically it's a totally different product, art and food... Food you need, art you don't need really...
Food can be bought in Aldi/Netto and prepared at home, and walls can be rollered in magnolia. I'm not sure that was a great comparison you gave

Food can be bought in Aldi/Netto and prepared at home, and walls can be rollered in magnolia. I'm not sure that was a great comparison you gave

It wasn't my comparison - that's why I said it didn't really make sense! Go tell the bird I was replying to that you disagree with her analogy too...

Archived